Eight

Callie couldn't believe that Simon was taken and now she didn't know what to do. She didn't say much as they walked into the hideout. "I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than...than what you people call mundanes?" Clary asked as she walked to them.

"Because they protect humans." Callie says. "I don't know how many times they have told you what Shadowhunters do."

Jace pulled Callie beside him as they stopped walking. He knew she understood, but not Clary. "You're right." She sighs as she turns to look at Callie. "You protect humans." Callie knew where this was going. "You left Simon all alone in the van."

"Don't blame them. Simon walked away by himself." Mike states as he stood behind Izzy.

"Great job, guys. You rock." Clary says ignoring Mike causing Callie to be ready to fight.

Jace held the blonde back as he knew she was ready to kill Clary.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec points out.

"Alec, not now." Izzy tells him.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon." Jace tells Clary. "They just wanted to draw Callie out."

"Always got to be Callie."

"If you don't shut up..." Mike covered her mouth knowing how his best friend can be.

Jace shook his head at Clary as he put his hand around Callie's waist. "They want the Cup, and they think Callie has it." He went on ignoring Clary's comment.

"Why do they think that?" Callie asked as she looked at him. "Why is everyone thinking that?" Clary rolled her eyes. "What, my aunt lies to me my entire left acting as my mother except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." She says quite furstrated. Seeing the look on Jace's face had Callie sighing. "What am I going to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec says.

"Great." Jace says as he walks Callie with him.

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's Clary's father?" Callie says as Clary looks at her.

"What?"

"I'll tell you in a few about what I have learned." She says.

'Great. Fine. Tell them." Clary says walking away causing Callie to look at them.

"So, what good does this do for Simon?"

"Callie, it's all connected." Jace says. "The vamps want the Cup."

"Why? It doesn't make sense if it makes new Shadowhunters."

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec tells her.

"Plus, it controls demons." Izzy tells Callie and Mike.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup." Jace says.

"So, the vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my aunt for the Cup." She states as she won't call Jocelyn her mom after she discovered she's been lied to. "Either way, I lose someone that I care for."

Jace looked at Callie who looked broken from the situation they are in. She didn't know what else to do causing her best friend to hug her. "Jace will find a way to help us. You know this." Mike says. "We will figure something out to save Simon so Clary will stop acting like this."

"I don't think she will, but oh well." Callie says looking at Jace. "Do whatever it takes to get him back."

"I will."