Bart scoffed and moved his head to glare at the back of Lady Featherington before looking at the curly haired girl in front of him.

"I knew your mother was a fool but not an idiot." Poppy's brows furrowed and Bart eased his expression. "Colin would be lucky to court you and if you need two dances away from him then let me offer you one."

She smiled at his kindness.

"Bart, you are a kind man but a man courting Marina. My mother said they had to be men serious about courting me."

"Ahh but that is the brilliance of this plan. She hates Marina and would love to have me dance with anyone else, especially her child."

Poppy began to really smile.

"You are devious."

He grinned right back.

"Yes I am. Now," He bowed and held his hand out, "shall we dance."

She curtsied and took his hand.

"We shall."

The two made their way to the dance floor as Colin approached Penelope.

"Pen!"

She was watching her sister and Mr. Waverly as they went to the dance floor with flared nostrils but turned once she heard her name.

"Colin. I did not know you would be here."

"I told Poppy I would come. Is she here?" Penelope sighed and pointed towards the dance floor where the woman in question was laughing as Bart Waverly twirled her around. Colin's face fell slightly. "That's a, uh, a new development."

"Yes, quite."

"I would think he'd be dancing with Ms. Thompson."

"She is ill."

Colin's eyes widened.

"And she is still here dancing?"

"No, not Poppy, Marina. My mama said she would have to stay home and left Miss Varley to watch her."

"Oh. Yes, that makes more sense." He paused for a second. "Why exactly is Poppy dancing with Bart?"

Penelope shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.

"I'm not quite sure. Poppy looked rather upset when Bart began talking to her but I don't know why, she walked in after me."

"She was upset?"

Colin stared at the woman dressed in an ungodly pink with concern. Poppy was laughing in that moment and even though he felt a bubble of jealousy at her dancing with another man, he was glad she no longer seemed to be unhappy.

Colin watched Poppy as she looked up and sent him a smile. Bart looked over at him as well and stuck his tongue out at his friend. Colin narrowed his eyes and Bart began laughing.

Penelope watched the interaction dejectedly wishing she would receive some of the attention and almost as if he could hear her prayers Bart's eyes darted over to Penelope and held them for a few seconds and he absolutely beamed. Penelope's face reddened and quickly moved her eyes away. She couldn't see it but Bart's expression only brightened at her reaction.

Penelope was filled with a certain flame of happiness that she thought would never be distinguished at least until Cressida Cowper and her groupies approached.

"Mr. Bridgerton, I believe you owe me a dance this evening. And I have only one more space remaining on my card, at present."

Colin looked at the woman confused and scared.