𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

Start from the beginning

"there she is." the milburn girl mumbled, looking down at the ground.

maeve turned to look at her, cigarette in between her lips as her eyebrows furrowed. thea looked back, raising her eyebrows in a teasing manner. maeve rolled her eyes, taking the cigarette from her lips before she pressed it onto one of the dance posters that were on the brick wall.

"awe, you don't want to live happily ever after?" thea teased.

"please. do i look like i have a cinderella complex?" maeve shot back. "are you going?"

"probably, since eric is gonna force me and otis. but i honestly don't want to go." thea replied, shrugging her shoulders. "it's a stupid american tradition that celebrates sexism and peddles an unrealistic portrayal of romantic love."

"agreed. ritualized teenage fun sucks." maeve nodded.

"i also don't want to go because i don't have a date." thea admitted, making maeve smile. "i mean, i totally agree with all the things i just said. but it's more fun to go to a dance with a person that you have romantic feelings for. are you going?"

maeve raised her eyebrows at that. "i'm not sure. jackson will probably force me to go."

"ah, the golden boy." thea teased, earning a nudge from the shorter girl. thea smiled, looking around to see otis talking with some guy a few meters away. "what's his deal?"

"he's having trouble asking a girl out to the ball." maeve answered.

"i know that feeling." thea mumbled before she turned to look at maeve. "how are things with your brother?"

"okay." maeve muttered. "he was still here when i left this morning, so. . ."

thea nodded, "how did he like golden boy?"

"what's with you and all the questions?" maeve snapped.

"just wondering" thea shrugged. "speaking of which, are you gonna keep my jacket for the rest of our lives or were you planning on returning it at some point?"

"oh, i was actually planning to give it to my brother so that he could take it into space with him." maeve answered sarcastically, earning a confused chuckle from the taller girl next to her.

"i - i don't know what that means. but. . . okay." thea laughed. "i'll see you later, yeah?"

"see you later." maeve repeated.

◂ ※ ⍣⃝ ※ ▸

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐍 eric's room, watching him go through all the dresses that she had brought over. she was sitting on his bed, watching the effiong boy throw out dress after dress. he was trying to look for the perfect dress for the dance that's happening. eric was already dressed since mr.groff had given him permission to go (he had gotten suspended for punching anwar). he was dressed in a beautiful suit with traditional african patterns, a green head wrap, and wonderful makeup. thea was happy to see him dressing in his usual attire again, having missed her loud and colorful friend. otis was already at the dance with ola, neither thea or eric asking any questions.

"how is it that you have no dresses?" eric questioned, turning to look at thea. she only shrugged as a response. "well, my lesbian goddess, we have to have you looking beautiful, okay? just because i am your date and we are both gay -"

"what does that have to do with anything?" thea asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"well, we're not dressing to impress each other, are we?" eric challenged, earning a confused look from the milburn girl. "we're dressing to impress others. especially you. you have to impress a certain pink haired girl."