"Who do you believe this Whistledown to be?"

Her eyes tore away from Colin and she moved a hand to begin eating again before giving Anthony her all of her attention.

Colin glared at Anthony with a resentment that was entirely illogical but Colin was a selfish man when it came to Poppy, he wanted, no needed all of her attention.

"I don't know Anthony, she really is a mystery. The talk of the ton yet no one truly has a clue. She's very clever, whoever she is."

Anthony let out a thoughtful breath before entirely dismissing her words and Poppy rolled her eyes at the man.

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury of all places.

Poppy began to stuff her face with the food in front of her and Colin, who had begun gazing at the woman, decided to do the same. Both watched the table with a certain detached interest, each focusing on the fact that Poppy still held tightly to one of Colin's hands.

Colin stilled when Poppy began to absentmindedly play with his hand, it had taken him a few seconds before regaining his composure and attempting to keep his bright smile down enough so he'd look normal.

They were off in their own worlds, neither truly thinking of anything. But they were snapped back into reality once they heard Poppy's surname followed by a collective no.

She furrowed her eyebrows at Colin and he shrugged his shoulders. Their confusion lifted, however, at Eloise's words.

"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister." She turned to the one Featherington at the table, "Right Poppy?"

Her eyes widened at the sudden attention.

"Oh, yes. It couldn't have been my mother. She believes us to be a refined family and with the popularity of Whistledown, she would be unable to not brag about the achievement."

Violet, sensing that this may be an uncomfortable topic for Poppy, thought she'd better change the conversation and turned towards Simon.

"You must forgive this rather unruly debate, Your Grace."

He smiled at the matronly woman and lightly shook his head.

"Nonsens. I find it entertaining. All of you at one table, even the children."

"I realise it may be unfashionable, but..." she trailed over for a second looking around the table with loving eyes as she watched her children interact. Colin was not so subtly staring at Poppy who was not so subtly staring back. Eloise was talking to Francesca while the youngest of her children were squabbling. "We like each other. Most of the time."

Simon's smile grew at the woman and the family, he really did feel the warm and fuzzies with them, not that he'd ever admit it.

Violet kept talking.

"You should join us more often." Simon's smile began to dim, "Perhaps, when we travel to our country seat. You would be most welcome." She turned to Poppy, "Of course, you are too sweetheart." Anthony straightened in his chair, catching onto what his mother was doing.

He opened his mouth to speak-

"Gregory!" Hyacinth yelled. "You must stop tossing peas at me!"

"Those peas were already there!" he threw some more. "And you cannot tell me what to do. I am older!"

Hyacinth threw some back at him, one straying and hitting Poppy in the face. She couldn't contain her amusement at the two and let out a snort. Colin followed her with a few barely suppressed giggles.