Phase 3: Chapter 28

Start from the beginning

"It's likely gonna be hard to determine without Captain Benson or the plane itself" Ralph assumed. "The data from the plane's signal wouldn't give them much to go on."

"So we're just never gonna know?" Sam questioned, his tone upset and shocked.

"I would guess not" Ralph predicted, much to the twins' disappointment.

The night of the festival, a few weeks back now, Jack had brought Ralph home and explained to Laurie that he'd gotten severe motion sickness. Ralph tried to downplay it, but of course his always frantic and concerned mother wouldn't have it. She thanked Jack profusely for looking out for her little boy and offered to let him stay. He'd insisted that he had to get back to Emma and wished Laurie and Ralph well before he went on his way.

"You never mentioned Jack had a girlfriend" Ralph's mom questioned her son.

"Oh, well I.. I didn't think it was important, I guess" Ralph shrugged it off tensely.

"How long has he been seeing her?" she asked curiously.

"Six months maybe, I don't know for sure" Ralph shrugged again, hyperfixated on the glass of water in front of him at the table.

"Six months? That's a long time, he's never mentioned her in the time that he's spent here either. Wonder if they're serious" his mom went on as she unloaded the clean dishes from the dishwasher.

"Couldn't tell you" Ralph awkwardly took a sip from his glass, though there were only a couple drops of water left in it.

Ralph couldn't admit to his mom that Emma was a touchy subject between him and Jack without telling her why. But what Ralph didn't realize was that his mother was very intuitive, especially when it came to her son, and she already knew that something was off; even if she wasn't exactly sure what it was.

Between the festival and the first couple weeks back in school, Ralph and Jack didn't talk at all. Despite Jack's insistence on taking Ralph home that night, both boys were still upset with each other. Jack living an hour and a half away made it easy for them to avoid each other without raising suspicion from parents and siblings. But some days, when Ralph was really miserable at school, he missed Jack. He missed all those days they'd spend together in military school, sitting by the night fire, talking past lights out, playing chess in the main hall, watching movies in Ralph and Simon's room until they fell asleep, working harder during training sessions to try and keep up with each other.

Ralph was certain that his longing for Jack and the academy was intensified by how much he disliked Eastern Woodland Academy. Sometimes, he'd watch the kids at recess, tackling each other and running around like wild chimps. He considered that maybe kids were savages whether they were trapped on a deserted island or not. But when the bell rang, and they all ran to line up at the door like a heard of Pavlov's dogs, Ralph realized how stupid that thought really was.

Ralph got off the bus on a windy Thursday afternoon, and trekked the half mile down his street to his house. When he got inside, his dad was pacing slowly around the living room talking on the phone.

"That's exciting! I didn't know they did that for middle schools" his father spoke enthusiastically. "I'm sure it will be, yes .... Well, remember it's all just for fun and there shouldn't be any pressure to do something you don't feel ready to do, right? ... Yes, exactly..."

Ralph stared as he let his backpack slide down his arm and onto the floor. When Jeffery saw his son, he smiled and waved at the boy before wrapping up his conversation, and hung up the phone.

"How was school?" he asked warmly.

"Uh, fine.. who was that?" Ralph fixated on the call.

"Jack, he was just talking about this dance thing happening at his school tomorrow" he answered casually as he set the phone back on its receiver.

"Did he ask for me?" Ralph wondered, trying to come off nonchalant about it.

"I don't think he mentioned it, I was the one who called them" his father confirmed.

"What for?" Ralph pressed.

"Just to check in. I worry about the family sometimes, you can understand why. Have you talked to Jack much lately?" he asked his son.

"Not so much. I'm busy with school" Ralph justified as he picked up his backpack and hung it up on the coat rack.

Jeffery just nodded simply, refraining from mentioning that Ralph was on the phone with Sam and Eric at least once a week.

"So Jack's going to a school dance?" Ralph asked attempting to suppress his obvious curiousity.

"It seems so. He's taking that girlfriend of his. Emily did he say her name was?"

"Emma" Ralph confirmed bitterly.

"So you do know of her" Jeffery concluded. "Neither of you have ever mentioned her before now."

"We don't talk about that stuff much" Ralph shrugged, trying to ignore the pounding in his chest.

"You got your eye on any girls in your class?" Jeffery asked his son in a teasing but still genuine tone.

"Gosh no" Ralph scoffed dismissively. "I don't have anything in common with them."

"Well, getting to know people is how you find things in common" his father pointed out.

"I don't need that kind of distraction" Ralph proclaimed as he grabbed an apple from the basket on the dining table. Jeffery laughed at his son's comment, willing to hold onto that version of Ralph for as long as he could. Ralph would likely be a moody teenager before he knew it. "Jack can grow up early and have all the girls he wants, but I'm more responsible than that. He just better not come crying to us when he gets one of 'em pregnant" Ralph sneered.

"Ralph!" Jeffery's voice shot up before he could catch himself. "There's no need to make comments like that. That isn't very responsible of you at all."

Ralph sighed heavily as he opened and tossed his apple into the garbage can beside the counter, only a couple bites taken out of it. "Okay fine, I'm sorry. Happy?" his tone was still tense and rather disrespectful as he left down the hallway without giving his father a chance to respond, closing his bedroom door behind him.

Moody teenager, Jeffery sighed to himself, maybe we're already there.