Chapter 2 - The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

Posted: December 17, 2022

Edited: July 20, 2023

Henrika's last month felt insanely long. Henrika mostly read her school books and stared out of the window, watching the muggle kids. A few times she tried to cook and knit with her mother's help, but Beatrice couldn't spend that much time with Henrika, she had to write her travel reports for newspapers and magazines.

Then September 1st finally came. Henrika awoke as excited as ever. She got ready as quickly as possible. Beatrice and Henrika travelled to a wizard café which wasn't far from King cross station. Henrika was walking in a fast pace and her mother was trying her best to keep up with her daughter, while dragging the trunk

They had finally reached the station and Beatrice looked at her watch.

"Merlin's sake. I completely forgot about that meeting.' She said, then turned to face Henrika.' Rika, there's a meeting that I'm already late to is it okay if I leave you here?'

'Okay, I'll find the platform myself,' she agreed. Her mother kissed her goodbye and dissaperated.

Henrika only now realised that she doesn't know how to get onto platform nine and three-quarters. There was a big plastic number nine over one platform and a big plastic number ten over the one next to it, and in the middle, nothing at all.

What on earth was she going to do? She'd have to ask someone.

Then she saw another boy dragging his trunk and his snowy owl.

He walked to her, probably because he noticed that she had an owl too. 'Er... Sorry, but do you know-?

'How to get on the platform?' She finished for him.' Sorry, but I'm stranded too. I'm Henrika Black by the way." She put her hand for the boy.

'Nice to meet you,' he shook her hand. 'I'm Harry Potter.'

Henrika lifted her eyebrows in amazement. 'Really?' the boy nodded.

Since both of them didn't know how to get onto the platform they stopped a passing guard, but didn't dare mention platform nine and three-quarters. The guard had never heard of Hogwarts and when they couldn't even tell him what part of the country it was in, he started to get annoyed, as though they were being stupid on purpose. Getting desperate, they asked for the train that left at eleven o'clock, but the guard said there wasn't one. In the end the guard strode away, muttering about time-wasters.

They were now trying hard not to panic. According to the large clock over the arrivals board, they had ten minutes left to get on the train to Hogwarts and they had no idea how to do it; the kids were stranded in the middle of a station with trunks they could hardly lift, pockets full of wizard money and a large owl.

At that moment a group of people passed just behind them and they caught a few words of what they were saying.

'- packed with Muggles, of course -'

Henrika swung round. The speaker was a plump woman who was talking to four boys, all with flaming red hair. Each of them was pushing a trunk like her's in front of her and Harry - and they had an owl.

Heart hammering, the kids pushed their trolleys after them. They stopped and so did he, just near enough to hear what they were saying.

'Now, what's the platform number?' said the boys' mother.

'Nine and three-quarters!' piped a small girl, also red-headed, who was holding her hand. 'Mum, can't I go?'

'You're not old enough, Ginny, now be quiet. All right, Percy, you go first.'