FIVE: Love and Laughter.

Start from the beginning

Before I could respond, Fareed walked into the room, clad in a light brown jallabiya. His brows furrowed in confusion when he saw us. "Meenah, what are you doing here?" he asked, looking from me to Billy, surprised.

"I called her over," Hussaini chimed in. "We will be leaving now, but we'll return soon. So the two of you, be good," he added playfully, grabbing his car keys and heading out with Billy.

Fareed turned his attention back to me, still wearing that puzzled expression. "Why didn't you tell me that you were seriously sick?" I asked, my concern evident in my voice.

He sighed and settled down on the opposite couch, looking a bit pale and weak. "I'm not sick, just caught a cold," he said, trying to downplay his condition.

"You can't lie to me, baby. You're sick. And why aren't you taking your medications? You know they'll help you a lot, right?" I asked, my worry for him evident in my voice.

"I thought you were going to have a family gathering?" He attempted to change the topic.

"Yeah, I left when Hussain called to report you to me," I replied, pouting.

"That guy," Fareed groaned, running his hand through his hair. Even while being sick, his hair had that natural glow to it.

"He made the right choice by calling me here, considering how stubborn you are, Fareed. Is this how you're going to be when we get married?" I teased, a small smile playing on my lips.

He ignored my question, and gave me a suspicious look. "Does Baba know you're here?"

"He doesn't have to know," I shrugged, nonchalantly.

"It's not right for you to be at a secluded place all alone with me, Ameena. We're not married yet," he reminded me, a hint of concern in his eyes.

"Don't worry," I waved him off. "Besides, I know you haven't eaten yet, so I'll go serve us lunch. I even brought some snacks, along with your favorite, Samosas."

"You brought Samosas?" He reached out for the basket I brought but I playfully stopped him.

"Not so fast, mister. You should eat first before munching on the snacks," I said with a teasing smile.

He gave me a disappointed look, making me laugh. "That's so unfair."

"Life's not always fair, R.Jay," I said, getting up from the couch and moving to the dining room. I opened up the food warmers and served us some Spicy Shepherd's Pie on the same plate before grabbing two cans of chilled Schweppes drinks from the refrigerator - Virgin Mojito for Fareed and Chapman for myself.

Returning to the living room, I found Fareed engrossed in the football match he was watching. I sat down close to him and placed the plate on my lap before taking a forkful of the pie. It had an incredible taste and was piping hot.

"This is yummy, Fareed, you've got to taste it," I mouthed, enjoying the meal. "Who made this?" I inquired.

"It should be Fateema, my cousin. And, I'm not hungry, so enjoy it yourself," Fareed replied.

"Come on, just a bite," I cajoled, bringing the fork closer to his mouth. "Open up, the chu chu train."

He leaned his head back, a playful smile on his lips. "I don't understand. Do I look like a child to you? I can feed myself, you know."

"Well, you're acting like a child by refusing to eat or even take your medications," I said, rolling my eyes and feigning annoyance. "Don't even eat; that's your problem," I muttered, turning away from him.

"Meenah," he called, and I ignored him.

"Meenah..."

I continued to ignore him until he sighed, relenting. "Alright, I'll eat."