09. persimmon picking

Comincia dall'inizio

Yuri nods gleefully. As we get up, the doorbell rings, signaling another customer for the cafe to feed. As I throw away our plates and hand back the cups, I hear a cheerful, "Heeseung!"

My head snaps back so quickly as if I heard a crime. What's Heeseung doing here?

"Oh, Yuri," I walk over to them, and when Heeseung sees me, his eyes widen. "You're friends with her?"

"You're friends with him?" I shoot the question back at Heeseung, glaring. Although I knew that there was something between them, I chose to know nothing. "I never knew you had such low standards."

"Shut up, Moon."

"Wait, you guys know each other?" Yuri questions, widening her eyes. "Then that's great! Hayoon, this is my-"

"Best friend," At that mention, Heeseung grabs her shoulder and pulls her in. Yuri gasps, looking up at him. "Right, Yuri?"

Her eyes seem to flash back at him, signifying some type of realization that has me frowning. When she started to awkwardly laugh, I knew something was fishy. "Right, yeah! We're best friends," Yuri looks at me, shaking her hands in denial. "We have known each other since middle school. Before that and even now, I went to different schools than him."

"Oh, I see. That's probably why I don't know you since I took time off in middle school," I cleared my throat, dismissing the heavy feeling that was evident in my voice. "Well, we're going to be leaving now. See you tomorrow, but hopefully, never."

As I try to grab Yuri out of Heeseung's grasp, he swings her back slightly. She stumbles, and I catch her by her arm. "Hey!"

"Woah, woah, relax," Heeseung smirks, leaning toward me. "Where are you guys off to? I get that it's such a beautiful day, but shouldn't I get invited?"

"We're picking persimmons today, and no, you aren't invited," Heeseung starts to frown, letting go of Yuri. She scurries onto my side, linking arms with me. "Why would you want to go anyway?"

"Well, I suppose neither of you has a car right now?" We both nod. "I can take you there as long as I come to pick persimmons with you. Saves you a bus fare or a long walk."

"No thanks-"

"Deal!" Yuri exclaims, causing me to slowly face her. "Sorry, Hayoon, but think on the bright side! Free ride. I have an extra ticket, anyway! It would only be right to let him tag along."

"That is why we're best friends, Yuri. Now, let's go."

We get into Heeseung's car, and I sit in the backseat. Yuri glances at me, beckoning quietly to sit at the front, but I decline. She nods, and as the two pile in, we're off to persimmon picking. Heeseung turns on the music, but the tune fades out as they sing together. I can only watch behind Yuri's seat, glancing every so often to see them grinning at each other.

As the voices get louder, I wince. I'm glad that I'm not the one sitting in the front seat having the time of my life with my rival. Actually, that thought scares me enough to have me sit up, looking across aimless prairies for the sake of drowning out every wrong note they sing.

God damn, they're so loud...

"Hayoon?" Yuri's penetrating voice brings me back to reality; shaking me into the present. "We're here! Make sure to button up, it's cold!"

We all step out together, Yuri running ahead of us as she admires all the persimmon trees. I fist my hands in my pockets, wincing at the bright sun that just begins to bloom over the barns. Someone harshly bumps into my arm, causing me to crash into Heeseung to my right. "Hey, watch it, girl!"

"How about you watch it, idiot," I mumble, but it seems to catch the passerby's surprise.

"The hell did you just say to me-" Before I can snap back, Heeseung puts his arm in front of me, making me feel like a mother stopping her child. It stops me from getting closer, and I snap my mouth shut for the sake of not causing chaos.

Heeseung inhales sharply, a gravelly voice causing the passersby to narrow their eyes. "We're not here to cause trouble, so just go along your way."

"You better keep your girlfriend in check." Girlfriend, my ass.

They continue on their way and I put my hands back in my pockets, grumbling quiet insults to keep my sanity at bay. Heeseung nudges me, looking down at me. "You're always causing problems wherever we go. Can't you take an off day for once?"

"Stop bothering me. Go talk to your best friend or whatever."

"Jealous, darling?" I stop, almost scoffing. He walks ahead for a moment, turning his head slightly. "If you want their words to come true, all you have to do is ask. Although, I think the only 'yes' you'd hear is in your dreams."

"Heeseung!" I bark, making him cackle. I stomp past him, but his laughter still rings in my ear. I catch up with Yuri, who has already gotten us baskets for the persimmons. "Sorry, Yuri. Had a bit of an altercation with some stupid person. Let me hold the other two."

"Sure!" She exclaims, handing them to me. "I want the flat bottom ones. I heard they're good with salad."

"Go ahead. I'll look for some too," She giggles, running to a line of trees and searching for some. I head the other way, looking at the two baskets in my hand. Why did I grab his things again? Stupid Hayoon. Why should I hold things for him, anyway? He's a loser.

I twist and pull on the stem of a persimmon, but it doesn't come off. "Need help?" It's his voice again.

"No," I cut it short, but he doesn't usually get the gist. "I don't need your help, thanks for the offer."

Even then, his hand covers mine on the fruit while the other grabs the basket out of my hand. Once he pulls on the fruit, it comes off. "Wasn't that so easy?" His honeyful tone irks me as I throw my persimmon in my basket. He holds his basket in his grasp, shaking it as if to mock me further. "Thanks for holding my basket. I suppose that's what I owe you after ticking you off."

"Just shut up," I grab another persimmon, trying to reach for its stem to make the pulling process easier. Heeseung watches, and I try to hold back my embarrassment from this moment. Trying to pull a persimmon off a tree was humiliating when I insulted a man. I can hear his frustrated exhale, and suddenly, the tree comes closer to my height. I look over and when I see his blue hoodie in front of me, I slowly look up.

Inches from my face are his own. What was he doing so close? What a weirdo. We should never be this close! "What are you doing?"

"Helping you," Heeseung replies, blinking gently. "Like I enjoy doing."

I grab the persimmon hard, throwing it into the basket. Turning away from him, I head to the next tree. Momentarily, I gave him a look, obviously not taking him seriously. "God, I hate you. No matter how many derogatory terms there may be, I think the word hate is the nicest I'll get."

He smirks, standing in place. "You'll say that, but you'll be begging for the mercy of my laughter when I beat you five times in a row."

And I ignore him.

I hate Heeseung.