Meeting An Old Frenemy

Start from the beginning

"Guys, can someone give the umbrella to Cheng? He's at the nearby mall. Tong Yao?" Rui asked, as the others didn't pay attention. "I don't think so. I'm busy." She said, getting up and leaving, carrying Da Bing. Rui was pretty confused, but I understood she wanted me to give the umbrella. And I didn't want to. "You're not busy at all. You do it. Remember to take another umbrella with you." He said, pushing the stuff into my arms. "Wha..?" I trailed off, as Rui stopped me. "Remember when Cheng took you to the store when he was busy? You need to repay the favor." He insisted.

"I'm an ingrate. Being ungrateful is common to me. I think he's used to it." I replied, in a desperate tone. If there's one thing I hated, it was rain. Rui sighed. "Stop making excuses. Go." He said, and guess what I did? I found more excuses. "Fine. But, it'll take me at least twenty minutes to go. I can't walk fast. So, I hope he doesn't freeze to death, while I'm on my way." I said, getting up. Rui effectively shooed me away. "Stay safe," He called out after me. As if I wouldn't.

---------

I walked in the rain, faintly smelling of wet mud. It was obvious why, I thought, as water seeped into my flats. Ugh.. it was a sensation I hated. My umbrella, the one above my head, not the one in my hand, threatened to fly away. I walked into the mall, not drenched, but with wet footwear. I closed both umbrellas, holding them in one hand.

I flimsily handled my phone, almost dropping it, as I arrived at the escalators. I called Cheng, but all I heard was the ringtone. "The number you have dialed.." I switched it off. I didn't care whether it was because he was busy, talking to someone else, or his phone was dead. I was doing this for him. I wanted to remind him, help doesn't come for free.

I sighed, tucking my phone away. Would I have to search the entire place? Or just stand up on a stage and call out for him? The second felt weird. Guess I'll have to settle for searching. Just then, a guy wearing glasses looked at me in surprise, and approached me. I wasn't to sure what to do. "Miss Lee? Why are you here?" He asked me. Wait.. this was Liang Sheng, wasn't it? I watched one of his streams, dealing with last season's championships. How did he recognize he, though? I never met.. oh. The photos.

"Uh.. hi! I'm searching for Cheng." I answered, showing the two umbrellas to explain. "Oh! He's up there. I just came down to get them drinks." Sheng said, as I noticed the two cups of coffee in his hand. "Great. Yeah... where is he, again?" I asked Sheng, who awkwardly beckoned me to follow him.

---------

I reached the arcade, not far behind Sheng. I saw two people, I recognized Cheng from the jacket. The other person, I couldn't see who it was, the face was turned the other way. "Playing games, I see." I said, as the other person went to put all the toys in a bag. The person then went to the other console, still not showing his face. "Sorry for the wait. Keep the toys." The guy said in Korean. Cheng explained in Chinese to Sheng, who mumbled a thanks, carrying all the stuff he got.

+---×---+

"You're here." Chen said, hesitating. Cheng had gone to get another tray of tokens, which they had used up.  Gunhyeok hadn't noticed the visitor, until Chen said that. When he turned to face her, she looked at him with boredom. Gunhyeok gave her a side glance. Liang Sheng felt like he was fourth-wheeling in this situation. He handed Chen the drinks, who didn't mind, and ran out of there. Figuratively, obviously.

"Hierophant." Chen said, controlling herself steadily. Gunhyeok noticed her hands fidgeting, and he understood that she was nervous. She always did that. "Well.. this was unexpected." Gunhyeok said, as he thought he'd never see her again. "Yeah. So, any chance I just walk out of here now?" Chen mumbled, awkwardly. Cheng returned at that moment, as Chen looked at the rabbit plushie he had. She sighed in annoyance. He handed it to her, and Gunhyeok grinned.