𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬

chapter eleven
strangers

chapter elevenstrangers

DRAGONSTONE

132 AC

    “CAN I ASK YOU SOMETHING?” Rhaella wondered, closing the book she had been reading.

    Daemon tilted his head in curiosity. “Go ahead”

    Rhaella was surprised when she first learned Daemon actually enjoyed to read, he seemed more like a man of action than someone who liked to stay still and read a book. To be fair, the books he liked constantly talked about war and strategies of attacks, but it was still something.

    It had been two weeks since she had arrived in Dragonstone and meetings in the library had became a recurrence with Daemon. They read in silence for some hours ― Daemon read books about wars and fights, Rhaella read herbals because of course she hadn't given up on finding the truth about her mother ― and then they talked a little. Sometimes they talked about Alysanne, sometimes they talked about dragons, and she looked forward to getting to know more of her uncle.

    Daemon was an interesting person. He was cold and brutal if necessary, but at the same time he would do anything for his family, and she knew he had a soft spot especially for his girls, but he was also incredibly gentle with Aegon and Joffrey too. Jace and Luke were older, and he was more authoritative with them, but Rhaella could see how much he was proud of the man they were becoming in his eyes, when he looked at them.

    “The idea of naming your son Aegon” the girl started. “Was it Rhaenyra's? Or was it yours?”

    Daemon let out a little laugh. “Why do you believe it was me?”

    “You just couldn't resist, could you?” Rhaella said, amused.

    “Aegon is a great name” Daemon replied in defense, but he wasn't able to hide the smirk on his face. Rhaella raised a brow. Daemon lifted his hands up in the air as a sign of surrender. “Alright, maybe it was my idea”

    Rhaella chuckled. Of course. In the short time she had been in Dragonstone, sha had learned that if there was anyone who hated the Hightowers more than she did, that person was uncle Daemon. He believed Otto had started planning to marry his daughter off to the King as soon as he heard about Queen Aemma'a death. Some servants of the Castle, whom were more loyal to the Rogue Prince than to their own King, had advised him Alicent would often visit Viserys in his apartments, in order to read him stories, which was just an excuse to become closer to him. Rhaenyra never knew anything about it and Daemon never made her aware of that. He was in Dragonstone at the time, all his informations came from servants, and he didn't exaclty kneen on talking to her, as she had been named heir over him.

     Daemon knew Alicent probably couldn't object and had to follow her father's wishes, but she still turned out to be a spoiled brat, as he liked to call her. Rhaella believed it was right. Alicent was certainly a victim of her father's scheming, but she couldn’t forgive ― or forget ― they way she had treated her.