Chapter 32: Bouquet

Start from the beginning

"Someone's at your door Kintsugi."

"Yeah, at least one of us cares," Kintsugi huffed as she went to open the old, wooden door, a fake smile already plastered as she quickly sensed who was on the other side.

"Kakashi! So nice to see you, how can I help you?"

If her flushed face hadn't given it away already, her words were sure to let Kakashi know that something was not right, that and the way her body was placed in such a way as to block the view of the interior of her house.

"Are you okay?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be? The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all is well in the world. Now...what do you need? You've never stopped by before."

"Uh, well...a few genin students have gone out to search for Sasuke. Some of us have been tasked to check the perimeter for breaches in village security. In other words, the Hokage wants to know how the guys who took Sasuke, got into the village in the first place."

"Okay...and you need my help, or...?"

"Your property is on the village outskirts, so I thought I'd check in and see if you'd seen anything...or whatever it is you do, but you've grown exceptionally talented at not getting tracked. I figured someone like you would know a thing or two about how to go about this."

"Interesting," Kintsugi hummed as she smelled the heavy scent of sweet soy sauce, the same smell that seemed to drift toward Kakashi as well. 

"Are you cooking? I didn't think you could cook something that actually smelled good," Kakashi smiled cheekily as he leaned a bit forward, eyes sparkling in mischief before narrowing at the man who was nonchalantly stirring a small pot of broth.

Kintsugi frowned, tilting her head towards the kitchen. She knew Itachi could tell she was glaring at him. Kakashi even saw the way she was glaring at him.

"Oh...I didn't know you had a cook."

"He's not my cook," Kintsugi grumbled not offering to say more as she quickly realized Itachi was more than likely under the cover of an illusion. 

"Oh."

For more than what could be considered a few moments, both of them awkwardly stood there waiting to see what the other would do.

"Come in," she finally sighed, her feet dragging as she led him to the kitchen table walking towards Itachi as he handed her a kettle, one she used to quickly fill with water and plumeria blooms for tea. 

"You could have told me," she whispered to Itachi.

"I thought it would be obvious. Of course, I'm not just going to walk around," he monotoned, yet a hint of a smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he leaned his face slightly toward her, "I thought you were smarter than that."

"Move," she gently pushed him with her hip, her face moving away from his as she placed the kettle on the adjacent burner.

"Kakashi, this is Deido, Deido this is Kakashi," she muttered as she turned to sit down. 

"I remember you...the guy that brought the Dango sticks. Your name is Deido? Like mud?"

"It's a nickname," Itachi looked behind him for a moment as he glanced at Kakashi and then at Kintsugi before turning, noticing the way the water in the kettle was heating up quicker than it should have. "I fell down a steep hill as a kid. Got covered in a bunch of mud before reaching the bottom. I guess the name stuck."

"He's been helping me around the house when I go work in the mines. He does some cooking but that's not really his job."

"So he's your housekeeper."

"Well...," they both said, Kintsugi's face flushing red as she realized what that single word contradicted, implied, and left to the imagination the moment they said it in sync. 

"I'm more like a roommate," Itachi finished for her, his eyes flitting towards Kintsugi in a gentle sweep that left Kakashi feeling uncomfortable, it was a look that not only hinted at friendship. "But I don't really stay here very often. Kintsugi's been surprisingly very hospitable despite that."

"So you don't actually live here?"

Itachi sighed, turning towards them as he placed a warm cup of tea on the table, one Kakashi took when he noticed that the man Deido was not planning on handing him his own.

"Am I being investigated?" Itachi raised a brow in curiosity, placing another cup of tea down, this time into Kintsugi's hands.

"No. I'm just curious."

"Well, I could say the same thing. I've been living here for over a month and I've never seen you come around her house. To me, you're the suspicious one."

"Over a month? I've known Kintsugi for quite some time now."

"I said I lived here for over a month, not that I've known her for a month. I met Kintsugi when she first arrived in the village."

"So did I, and I've never seen you around before then."

"Okay," Kintsugi stood, tired of the conversation that seemed to be getting nowhere, "Kakashi, I know a few spots we could check. We should get going before the sun goes down. Deido I'll be back later, okay?"

For a few moments, the two men stared at each other, a silent conversation filling the space as neither blinked. 

"Will you stop?" Kintsugi groaned pulling Kakashi up by the arm in a quick tug as she walked towards the front door. 

"It was a pleasure meeting you Deido. I should stop by more often."

Itachi stared blankly at him, walking towards Kintsugi as he watched her push Kakashi forward and out the door.

"Deido? That is a terrible name." Itachi whispered to Kintsugi as they watched Kakashi walk further enough away for him to be satisfied to speak.

"It just came to mind," she smirked sensing his hand carefully slide down to hold her own and towards him.

"Be careful," he cautioned, bringing her into a hug as he began to whisper in her ear, "I think your abilities are still unstable. The water from the kettle was already starting to boil the moment you touched it. I don't think he noticed but if it starts to act up in front of him I don't think you'd want to deal with that just yet. If he sees you as a threat, use the tunnels and head to the other outpost."

"Don't worry, I had a good teacher who taught me a thing or two," she whispered back before pausing, "You think if I'd used Lotus flowers instead it would have been better?"

"I don't think if you'd put a whole bouquet in there it would have changed anything. Just...." Itachi couldn't finish. It was as if years of suppressed emotions had been overflowing for the past hour and had finally managed to clog his brain. He couldn't say what he wanted to say. 

"Make sure you're not compromised."

"I won't," Kintsugi replied, already stepping away as she walked toward Kakashi. "I'll be back for dinner. I'll see you later."

Itachi didn't smile at her joke, he wouldn't smile, because he would wait until he finally saw her back safely. 

He wouldn't smile until he knew that this was actually real.

_____

A/N: In anticipation for the holidays, Happy New Year

Deido does mean mud in Japanese.