chapter two

We arrive at the airport in Bahrain and there are already lots of people waiting there. I put a cloth above Valeria's head since she's already sleeping and I don't need everyone to take pictures of my daughter. 
"Can we take a picture with you Ava?", the people ask me who are waiting there.
"I'm really sorry but my daughter is asleep and I dont want her to wake up", I say and give them an apologizing look. They nod and smile at me. I keep walking until I reach my taxi that is supposed to take me to the hotel.
We arrive there and I put Valeria down in her bed before I go to sleep myself.

We arrive at the paddock the next morning and the people and media start to take pictures. 
"Wave", I tell Valeria and look at the people around us.
She starts waving and saying hello to every person to come across us.
"Ava are you ready for today?", Max asks me as I enter the paddock.
"I'm a little nervous but yeah"
"Maxie", she shouts and puts out her hands for Max to take her. He takes her onto his arms and starts talking with her.
"So Valeria, Penelope and my girlfriend Kelly are here too. What do you think of spending a little time with them?", he asks her and she slightly nods. He looks at me questioningly and I nod. I wave at her shortly before he walks away with her.
"So are you ready for your first interview?", a guy of the team asks me.
"I hope so"
"Don't worry it's not that bad. The only thing you have to control is how much space you give them"
"What do you mean by space?"
"Don't leave them too much space for personal questions. Try to keep in simple and don't give out too much information about you"
"Thank you. That's very nice of you", I say and smile at him.
"No problem. See you Ava", he says and leaves again.
I start to get nervous again and decide to take a walk around the paddock. 
I'm daydreaming about something when something heavily bumps into me. I look up to see Charles Leclerc looking at me.
"Oh you must be Ava, Ava Garca right?", he asks and smiles.
Something inside of me starts to tingle.
"Yes I am. And you must be Charles Leclerc then. Nice to meet you", I say and shake his hand. 
"Yes I am. Shouldn't you be at the interview now?", he asks me and I look at him with a questioning look before I take out my phone and realize the interview's about to start in a few minutes.
"Shit", I say and take off running.
"It was nice meeting you Charles", I shout as I turn around shortly before I run towards the garage.

Today has been an exhausting day. All these questions and the people getting introduced to me. Don't get me wrong, I love meeting new people it's just that there were so many and I just got tired of it. I also met a few drivers. Carlos Sainz introduced himself to me and a few others too. They were really nice. I haven't seen Lando all day though. 
I have known Lando for ages now. We got very close when we were little and have been best friends since the age of ten. I also already knew George and Alex but just from seeing them. I think I've never really talked to them before. Lando was always there for me. Even when I got pregnant. I was supposed to get a seat in formula one with them in 2019 but got pregnant and had to decline the offer. I was devestated. I mean racing alongside the best in the world was my dream and then I had to say no to it because I was stupid enough to get pregnant. 
I still remember the night I found out. It was a sunny day in Spain and Lando was there too. 
We were eating at the beach together. My parents, my boyfriend Enrique and Lando. Enrique didn't like Lando and I was never allowed to spend time with him. I thought it was normal so Landos and my friendship kind of broke appart for a few months. At that time I had been together with Enrique for I think about one and a half years.
We were eating watermelon together when I felt my stomach turn. I had no clue why just that it had to come out. I ran to the bathroom and started vomiting. Lando and Enrique immediately ran after me and helped me clean myself up again. We thought nothing of it but went home because I was still feeling very sick. It was late at night and Lando and I were watching a movie when he said: "Ava, do you think you could be...?". I started laughing and said: "God Lando no. I had my period last...", I said but stopped. I should've had my period two weeks ago so I was obviously late.
"Shit", I said.
The next morning he went to a store and bought a test for me even though he couldn't speak any spanish. He came back and I did the test. 
The rest of the story you can imagine. 
Enrique left me and Lando was there for me whenever he could. I always visited him when he was traveling but had to stop at some time because I started to need help with everything I did.
I go back to the garage and see Penelope and Valeria play with eachother. They're playing with some barbies. 
"Thanks Kelly for watching them", I say to Kelly and approach her.
"Mommy", Valeria says and comes running. I pick her up and give her a kiss on her cheek.
"I missed you too Val", I say and laugh.
"It was no problem really. Valeria is a very polite and patient child. She never complained or anything like that", Kelly says.
"Yeah she had to learn that since she's always here", I say and smile at Kelly.
"Well see you tomorrow then", Kelly says and takes Penelopes hand and takes her with her.
Penelope waves at us shortly before she walks away with her mom.
"So how was your day mi princesa?", I ask my daughter who is walking in front of me trough the paddock as if she had been here for ages.
"It was great", she says and smiles. 
"Glad to hear", I say and keep walking after her.
I'm looking around a little when I hear her shout: "Tio Lando". I turn my head and see her running towards Lando. She jumps into his arms and he lifts her up and spins her around.
"Val, I missed you.", he says and gives her a kiss on her cheek. She laughs and he now sees me too.
"Ava, how are you?", he asks as he puts my daughter down. I walk up to him and hug him.
I say: "I'm great how are you?"
"Better than ever", he says and grins at me.
"Up", my daughter says and looks at Lando.
"What did we practice Val?", I ask her and she looks at me and then back to Lando.
"Please pick me up?", she asks with a sweet voice and Lando lifts her up again.
"Where are you going?", he asks me.
"Oh we were about to go back to the hotel. And you?", I say.
"Me too. I have to get ready. The boys and me wanted to go out for dinner tonight. You could come too if you want?", he asks me.
"Oh no don't worry. They don't even know me and I would probably just ruin the mood. Plus, I have this little monster with me", I say and look at Val who starts pouting.
"Ava, please. I'm begging you. Come and eat dinner with us.", he says.
"But what should I do with her?", I ask and point at my daughter.
"She can come too. We'll choose a not very fancy restaurant and she's going to come with us"
"Are you sure? I know it doesn't bother you but what about the others?"
"Ava they can't wait to get to know you better"
"That's not true Lando"
"Belive me. It's true", he says and chuckles.
"Okay I'll come. But only if you ask the others if it's okay too"
"Deal", he says and smiles proudly.
We keep talking for a little when Charles walks by again.
"Hey Charles. Wait", Lando says and Charles comes over.
"Hi again", he says and smiles at me.
"You two know each other?", he asks and looks at us.
"Yeah we met earlier today", I say.
He looks at us for a few seconds with a weird look before he starts talking again.
"Anyways, is it okay for you if she comes too tonight?", Lando asks him.
"Yes why wouldn't it?", he asks and chuckles.
"She thinks it won't be okay if she comes to and that she's going to ruin the mood or something like that. Also she thinks that it won't be okay if Val comes too", Lando says.
"Sure but who's Val?", Charles asks.
"This here is Valeria", Lando says and laughs.
"Oh I didn't even notice her at first. Hi my name's Charles and you are?", he says and holds out his hand for her.
"I'm Valeria", she says shily and shakes his hand.
He looks at Lando questioning.
"Oh Valeria is my daughter", I say and his face drops for a second. Not in a bad way he probably didn't expect her to be my daughter.
"Your daughter? How old are you?", he asks not beliving me.
"I'm twenty", I say and laugh.
"Wow you have to tell me everything at dinner tonight", he says and chuckles a little still not really beliving me.
"I will don't worry", I say and laugh even more.
"Well I have to leave again but see you later Ava and Val", he says and waves at Val. She waves back and watches as he leaves.
"Pretty boy", she says and I laugh.
"What did you say?", Lando asks acting shocked.
"Charles is pretty", she says again and laughs.
"No no young lady. You're too young for a boyfriend", he says and shakes his finger.
"Mommy what is a boyfriend?", she asks me.
"That's a boy you really like", I say and smile.
"Charles my boyfriend", she says and laughs as Landos mouth drops.
"Nope no boyfriends until you're eighteen young lady", he says and starts talking to her about boyfriends. We head towards the car together and he put her in her seat while I put the bags into the car.
"See you later then", I say and give him a hug.
"Yes. I'll send you a message when you need to be ready. You both are going to drive with me.", he says.
"You know I can drive the car myself right?"
"I know but you're coming with me. No discussion"
"Alright", I say and laugh before I get into the car. I start it and let the windows down.
"Bye tio Lando", Val shouts and waves to Lando as we drive away. He waves back and I see him getting tinier and tinier in the mirror.

"Hey Ava", Lando says as I get into the car.
"Hey", I say and make sure Ava's all safe.
"Can we leave?", he asks and I nod. He starts the car and we start driving to the restaurant. As we go inside the others are already sitting at a table talking to eachother and laughing.
Val sees Charles and starts running towards him.
"Charlie", she shouts and runns up next to him.He looks at me and I nod before he takes her onto his lap.
"Hey Val. Nice to see you", he says and laughs. Lando and I sit down and he starts introducing us.
"Okay guys uhm, this is Ava. She's the new teammate of our favorite dutch Max and this is her daughter?"
George chokes on his water for a second before he asks in a brittish accent: "Daughter?"
They all look at me kind of surprised.
"Yes she's my daughter", I say and smile weirdly. I actually hate when people have that reaction. I don't blame them though. I would probably have the same reacton.
"And how old are you?", Carlos asks.
"She's twenty", Charles says and chuckles before he continues talking to Valeria.
"Wow", Alex says and I laugh akwardly.
"We're sorry. It's just that you're so young and everything", George says and starts apologizing.
"Oh no it's okay. I get that quite a lot"
"Val please say hi to everyone. Not just to Charles", I say and look at her.
"Soy Valeria", she says. She sometimes speaks spanish when she's nervous.
"Soy Carlos. Cuantos años tienes?", he asks her and she blushes and hides her head in Charles' chest.
"She's almost three", I say and smile at the sight of her and Charles.
"Wow so you got pregnant when you were 18?", Charles asks.
"Actually 17", I say and chuckle nervously again.
"You probably got some good reactions on that", Carlos says and Lando punches hi with his elbow.
"Ow", Carlos says and holds his arm.
"Belive me. I really did", I say sarcastically.
"And what do you do with her when you have training or anything like that? Do you have a babysitter?", Alex asks.
"Uhm I just take her with me. Christian said it's okay to bring her along as long as she doesn't distracts me and Max. But she's an uncomplicated kid so she just plays all day long with her toys until I'm finished", I say.
"And the dad? Doesn't he have time to watch her?", Carlos asks and gets a punch again from Lando.
"No clue where he is and I don't even want to know", I say with a angry tone.
I pause for a second and calm down a little.
"When I told him he didn't want anything to do with Val and me anymore. He even wanted me to abort her but I would've never. So he broke up with me and we never talked again"
"Wow again", Carlos says.
"But Lando was a good help and is like a father figure for her at some point so she's not missing out on anything", I say.
"Doesn't look lit that though", George says laughing and points over to Charles. Val is still sitting on his lap and talking to him about something while he acts as if he's interested.
"Val I said no boyfriends until you're 18", Lando says a little annoyed and probably jealous.
"Am I your boyfriend?", Charles asks Val laughing.
"Yes but don't tell tio Lando", she whispers kind of loud and smiles.
"Okay I won't", he says serious and laughs.
Lando looks at them jealous and says in a offended tone: "Fine then. Let's order"
We laugh for a second and then start looking for our orders. I tell Val to sit down next to me and she comes over and sits down.
We laugh the whole night and have a lot fun. We also get to know eachother a lot better.
Val fell asleep on Charles' lap about an hour ago.
"Shouldn't we be quiet? She's sleeping", he says and looks at us.
"Oh don't worry. She can sleep everywhere no matter how loud", I say and smile at him.
The rest of the night goes by pretty fast and we decide to go home. 
Charles carries Val to Landos car and even puts her in her seat. 
"She's such a sweet girl. You can be proud of yourself", he says and smiles at me.
"Thank you. She really is. I'm sorry that she just bothered you all night."
"Oh no she didn't bother me. She's so sweet and kind. Also she talks a lot", he says and we both laugh. He's right she talks alot.
We stand there for a moment before he says. "Okay see you tomorrow then Ava"
"See you Charles", I say and get into the car. Our eyes meet one last time before Lando drives away and we both smile.
"God not you too", Lando says and rolls his eyes.
"Fuck you Lando", I say and laugh.