Chapter 3: A Child Found

William Winter had been born on a Wednesday, and had died on a Wednesday. His funeral was held on a cold November afternoon, which also happened to be a Wednesday. Nobody at the service connected all these facts together apart from Mrs Winter, who from then on always got a sad feeling on a Wednesday. 

Everyone said how unfair it was for him to be taken so young, when he had so much life yet to live, but Billy's mum didn't say much to these people. All she did was nod, say 'thank you' then look away. 

She knelt at the side of the grave, newly covered, and wept.

P.C. Caplin re-entered the Winter household, this time along with her colleague P.C. Broadacre. She tapped gently on the living room door and then they both entered the room where Mr Winter was consoling his wife. Mr and Mrs Winter both looked to the Police Officers and Mrs Winter managed, between sobs, to ask if there was any news of Billy. 

"Yes," Began Caplin, "He's been found, he's safe."

"Oh thank God!" Said Mr Winter, jumping to his feet. "Where is he? What happened?"

"That's the thing," Said Broadacre, "Mr Winter, I'm afraid we're going to have to take you..."

"To London!" Interrupted P.C. Caplin. 

"London? What the hell for? Where's my son?"

"In... How do I put this... He's in London."

"You aren't making any sense." Said Mrs Winter, wiping her eyes. "Is he OK or not?"

"I don't want to alarm you Mrs Winter, or you Mr Winter, but Billy is in a coma." Billy's mother gasped. "He was found at around two thirty AM this morning wandering around in the corridors of a London hospital. He was conscious enough to give his name and address, but then fell unconscious and is now in a coma."

Mrs Winter fell backwards onto the sofa and looked at her husband. "It's not him. It can't be. Not that far away."

"It would appear," said Mr Winter, getting red in the face, "that you've got our hopes up for nothing. Shouldn't you check things like this first? I'd like you both to leave."

"Mr Winter, if you..."

"GET OUT!"

"Come on, let's go." Said Broadacre. "We're very sorry for upsetting you both Mr Winter."

"Hang on," said P.C. Caplin, "Just give me two minutes, then we'll leave." She looked at Mr Winter who sighed and motioned for her to carry on. P.C. Caplin left the room.

P.C. Broadacre looked around, not  knowing what to do with himself. Neither of the boys parents looked as though they wanted to talk or would appreciate any more assurance, so he just stood there, quiet and as still as possible. He wanted to know what Liz was up to, talking like this to the parents. What happened to taking Winter down to the station? Why has she just come out with this nonsense? Either it's not the boy, or Mr Winter is lying. Either way, she's gone about this all wrong.

His partner came back into the room and as soon as she did, her phone beeped. He tried to make eye contact with her, to get a clue as to what was happening, but she looked towards the parents. She went over to the Winters and said "I've asked the hospital in London to send a picture of the boy that says he's your son. Is this him?"

She passed the phone to Mrs Winter who began to weep once more, and nodded her head.

"Yes."

**********************

The hospital had been a hospital for two hundred years or so. Before that it had been home to the lunatics and maniacs of old London town, along with medical cases that at that time were untreatable. Sometimes the hospital had patients that swore blind they could hear screams in the night.