"Something to share?" Bart asked.

Subtly Colin moved his hand away from Poppy's after squeezing it. He sent a cheeky smile to his friend.

"Nothing you could comprehend Waverley."

"Are we beginning a battle of the wits, Colin?" Bart scoffed.

Rolling her eyes Poppy cut in,

"If that were happening then the two of you are sure to lose to me and Marina."

"Confident are you confident, Pepper?" Bart smirked at her.

"Well, I've read your writing before Barty."

Colin snorted while Marina tried to hide her laugh behind her hand and Bart gaped at the woman before turning to her mother who stood off to the corner talking to Mrs. Varley, thinking she would defend him. But neither women were paying attention to them.

Not being able to think of anything Bart just rolled his eyes and tried to bring Marina's attention back to him.

Poppy turned and whispered to Colin,

"What an excellent comeback of his."

Once again Colin snorted and let out a startled laugh. He brought his hand to her back in a way to steady himself but only succeeded in flustering the both of them.

Quickly, to save face Colin brought his arm away from the woman and stood up.

"I uhm, I must be off."

Poppy's brows scrunched in confusion and stood up next to the man. She placed her hand on Colin's arm and watched as his face reddened.

"So soon?"

Swallowing Colin placed his hand on top of hers, attempting to regain himself.

"I think that my brother may need my help in warding off Daphne's suitors."

"I do believe he is quite adept at that."

"Yes, I suppose you would know remembering last season."

"I found that to be quite helpful. However, I do not think Daphne feels the same."

Colin shook his head in amusement,

"She does wish to be married. You on the other hand..."

He trailed off with a sombre smile,

"It's not that I don't wish to marry, it is that I would like a husband who brings me joy and adventure but most men are bores."

"Oh, and do you consider me boring." Colin gasped pretending to be offended.

Poppy began laughing, her face lighting up and Colin's mock offence melted into an affectionate smile.

"I only believe you to be boring when you open your mouth."

He made a face at her,

"So I am not a bore when you are simply looking at me?"

Poppy's face grew red as she opened and closed her mouth. Colin simply looked cocky, she hated him.

"That is not what I meant."

"Yes, sure I believe you." He patted her hand. "Now, I must be off."

He gave her hand a squeeze and turned to leave but held still when Poppy didn't let go. He looked back and into her eyes questioningly.

"I... Are you..." Her eyes wandered the room before connecting with Colin's brown eyes again. It took her a few seconds before continuing again. "Are you going to the opera tonight?"