𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗋𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇. showdown

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 013 , showdown

   A soft flicker sounded through the darkness of the jungle. The colorful flowers were illuminated by the moonlight and shone in their full strength.

Little bugs crawled across the ground, living their short lives without any worries.

Swinging her last knife and twisting it, in which the beautiful moonlight reflected, the brunette walked up and down, bored.

There was no danger in sight, only the shadows of the trees that stretched eerily.

An owl could be heard in the distance and the sound of its lute bounced off the tree trunks.

Beetee tied his wire to a knife he had from Nova, but did not tell the other three his plan. It was a little bit suspicious, but Nova chose to put trust her trust in the older man.

Nova took advantage of his distraction and quietly waddled over to Finnick. "What's the plan? I mean, what happens when we get Cashmere and... James?"

In Finnick's eyes, Nova could see the reflection of the moon. It shone brightly and scarily naturally.

"I don't know. We're dying, I suppose. Anything to keep the mockingjay alive, isn't that the deal?" Silence fell between the two, both swallowing the hard truth.

They wouldn't change their mind, of course they wouldn't, but it was still hard to walk around with the fact that you'll die. It's nothing you can easily accept. There's always this pressure on your heart. How could you even possibly accept something big like this?

Throw your life away like that. There's so much undiscovered, so much that the future holds open for you. So much to see. To feel. To experience.

There's so much Nova want's to find out— needs to find out. She's still young. There's a lot to explore. Fact is, she'd never get to explore these things. It doesn't matter anymore.

"I'm scared," Nova admitted, her eyes scanning their surroundings. "I mean what happens when you die? This uncertainty, it's... scary."

Finnick licked his tongue over his teeth. "Whatever it is, I hope it's better than this world."

"That's not really hard," Nova said, and Finnick chuckled low.

He grabbed her hand and Nova's skin began to tingle. Small jolts of electricity traveled through her body directly to her heart, messing up her regular heartbeat.

Her fear seemed to be pushed into a dark corner. A gust of wind swirled around them.

As Nova looked up at Finnick, she found herself lost in the sea-green depths of his eyes. She longed to stand on her tiptoes and kiss him passionately, to feel his closeness and have him reciprocate her desires. She yearned for his chest to press against hers and to feel his heartbeat.

Startled by her own thoughts, Nova forced a gulp and tried to compose herself.

"Don't look at me like that," Finnick sighed, his hand tracing along her arm, down to her waist.