Lost Childhood ~ Chapter 4

When I woke up in my bed a few hours after I passed out, all I could think of was moving away from the one and only person that helped me through the years of suffering.

Then, I realized what woke me up in the first place. Peter, my chocolate lab, was licking my face with his warm, slimy tongue. Just seeing his face reminded me of Walter, my childhood bunny, and I started bawling. He jumped up on my bed, and layed next to me, perfectly still, accepting.

**********5 years ago**********

It's been 2 weeks since I got my rabbit, Walter, for my birthday from Dad. He has everything. A nice cage, and tons of toys. Honestly, I'm surprised my dad hasn't done anything to him. I haven't really gotten in much trouble, and if I did, I was sure to stay away from Walter so nothing bad happened.

"Mikaela!! Get down stairs! NOW!" He sounds mad, very mad. Shivers run down my spine, and I slowly walk downstairs.

"Daddy... What did I do?"

"Nothing this time. I'm just in a bad mood, and who else is here to take it out on...?" My eyes accidentally twitch towards Walter's cage. Bad mistake. His eyes flicker to the cage, and back to me. The cage, me, the cage, me. Back and forth, repeatedly.

"Daddy! NO! Not Walter! He didn't do anything wrong!!" I choke on my tears, almost vomiting. Walter has been the best thing in my life for the past 2 weeks, other than Ashlea.

Dad walks towards Walter's cage, and wrenches the door open, terrifying the poor rabbit.

"Here! Hug him one last time. You'll never see him again after today. I can promise you that." He hands Walter to me, and I clutch him tightly. He's scared, so he tries to get away, clawing at the bare skin on my arms, making me bleed. I whimper in pain, trying to embrace the moment, though it stings.

Dad takes Walter out of my arms, he squeaks and squirms in pain, because he's squeezing him so hard. "Stay here. Do NOT move a muscle. I swear to God, if you move, you die."

I takes all I have not to follow after my father as he carries my rabbit out the back door. I strain my neck, and see him take the sledge hammer out of the garage. I close my eyes as tightly as possible, plugging my ears, but nothing can keep me from hearing the crunch of bones, the final squeak of Walter, the thump of the sledge hammer hitting the concrete.

**********Present Day**********

After about an hour of cuddling with Peter, my mom comes into my room. She sits on my bed next to Peter, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Mom... Do we really have to move? Can't we just report him for calling us? Please? I can't leave Ash!"

"Honey... I called Steve Malcom while you were out, and he said that they're going to transfer your father to a different prison. And he won't be allowed to call. We're safe, don't worry."

"Oh thank God! I love you, Mom. So much."

She wraps her arms around me, and whispers in my ear. "I love you, too, Mik. Forever and always."

**********3 Weeks Later**********

The doorbell wakes me up at 9 A.M. on the day of my birthday. I immediately jump out of bed, and run downstairs, because I know exactly who it is. Ash.

"Happy birthday!!! I freaking LOVE you!", she says when I open the door.

"Thanks for coming! Love you too!" We hug, and run up to my room to put her stuff away, and I get dressed.

2 hours later, we're in the car on the way to the lake. As we pitch our tent, it reminds me of the last time I went camping with my dad. I try not to think about it, but, of course, the memory is stronger than my actual thoughts.

**********7 Years Ago**********

It's a Saturday, just after my 9th birthday, and we just got back from camping. We were supposed to stay until Monday, but... There were some incidents.

"Kaela! Let's go swimming!" Dad yells in the general direction of my tent, but the wind carries his voice far away, over the water. I barely hear him, and grab my swim suit.

We swim for about an hour, until I start shivering. I start walking towards the shore, and he follows me. Being a bit of a klutz, I trip over a rock, and fall. Instead of catching me, Dad holds me under. I start panicking, unable to get my head above the water. Finally, he pulls me out. Too bad my mom didn't see a thing...

**********Present Day**********

Our tents are pitched, and we're about to go swimming. We grab our matching swim suits, and head to the bath house to change.

"It's cold! Don't splash! It's freezing!!" Ashlea screams, and tries to run back to shore, but then she trips and falls. I walk over to her, laughing like a mad man, and help her up. She shoved a handful of mud into my top,

"ASHLEA! EW! I'll get you back, I swear!" We romp around in the water for hours on end, only getting out when Mom calls us in for dinner. After a feast of hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and potato salad, we roast some marshmallows around the fire and tell ghost stories.

That night, alongside Ash in our tent, I dream of my father. That rarely happens, and I wake up dozens of times throughout the night.