LADY JEYNE, ii. the heir of winterfell

Start from the beginning

      "You should sheep shift her bed, I do it to my sister all the time."

A voice piped up beside her and whilst she could not place the accent, she recognised the endearing face of the little girl as the younger of the Stark girls who she had seen earlier squabbling with Sansa.

"You must be Arya." Jeyne said with a smile so soft, the little wolf thought her to be enchanting. Her hair was in two simple braids that dangled unevenly as a few untameable strands escaped the elaborate twists and she nodded eagerly with a spoonful of goose shoved in her mouth. "What exactly is sheep-shifting?"

Jeyne looked wearily at the child but inquisitive all the same as she poked her cutlery into the meat on her plate.

Arya sighed as she began to explain. "Cut holes into her mattress, stuff sheep dung inside and then sew it all back up again."

Green irises swelled up in shock as pearly white teeth sucked the remnants of goose off the fork before Jeyne cleared her throat. "I'll keep that in mind." She said in a hushed whisper, her voice twinged with a slight amusement at what the girl was suggesting as she followed her gaze to Maegelle and Sansa chatting away a few seats away and ahead of them.

"What are you filling her head with?"

     Jeyne turned to the source of the question to find Robb Stark sporting a beguiled twinkle in his eye, his teeth all on display as he grinned boyishly. His tone was playful and from the way he slid across from his array of seats to sit beside her with a complete ease, Jeyne could see that—much unlike her— company of the opposite gender did not have his stomach in knots. Jeyne wasn't sure if she liked what that suggested.

A boy as charming and handsome as him, what good would I do as his wife when he could have a beautiful rose like Margery Tyrell or even the Baratheon kings daughter?

"She deserves it." Arya shrugged.

Robb raised a chastising eyebrow as he turned his attention to the Redwyne girl. "Forgive my sister, she has a habit of taunting Sansa relentlessly, and it seems she wishes to pollute your ears with her tricks."

He spoke with an eloquence Jeyne envied as she found her breath hitched in her throat whilst she was drowning in the blue of his eyes. All he was doing was looking at her, he wasn't looking at her in lust and he wasn't even looking at her as if he wanted her but still he had the charm of the knights and lords her septa's had warned her to stay away from.

"She is no bother. I find her rather sweet actually." Jeyne smiled as she met eyes with the child again.

"See Robb, she likes me." Arya said smugly before she returned to playing about with her food.

"And it is me that should be asking for forgiveness," Jeyne began and much to her pleasure, had found she was not stammering, "...for the commotion me and Maegelle caused the very first time you had become acquainted with us."

She elaborated further when Robb looked to her in confusion, her cheeks flushing a crimson red as she averted her gaze to anywhere but him.

"It was quite the first impression," He laughed, and Jeyne found she quite liked the sound. "But I assure you Lady Jeyne, you need not feel embarrassed, I have seen Arya and Sansa do much worse." She smiled at him shyly as she glanced at him through her long wispy eyelashes, doe green eyes shimmering with a humble goodness.