05

Angel

Ivan texted me this morning saying he wants to come over to study again, but Ivan being Ivan, he just started asking me stupid questions midway through our session.

"Angel," he calls to me whilst lying upside down on my bed and I'm seated at my study desk. "Ang ganda ni Jamie 'no?"

"What?" I don't know if he meant it as a question or a statement.

"Sabi ko, si Jamie maganda," he says carefully. "Di ba?"

"I don't know." Why is he even asking me this?

"Gago! Tinatanong kita. Anong you don't know?" He throws a pillow at me.

"Didn't you say you wanted to come over to study together?" I raised a brow and throw the pillow back at him.

"Alam mo nakakatakot ka na rin minsan. Nagiging katulad mo na si mama."

Suddenly, my brain decided to think of the incident that happened to their house last week. I wasn't meant to stay, I was just going to put back the three paper bags we failed to deliver, but I got involved. Our parents sat us through it the other day. I already figured out the whole matchmaking stunt, but I didn't think it would be as far as getting us married. We just met each other and I'm pretty certain that we have nothing but negative feelings towards each other. We can't get married. But tita Claire wanted to have her daughter here permanently since her two daughters has already a family of their own. She didn't want Jamie to live alone without any guidance. Although Jamie made it very clear that she's an independent woman who's completely capable of taking care of herself without any help from anyone, especially from men. Her words, not mine. Meanwhile, my parents' reason—most likely my mom—is simply to see me settled down. Jamie and I tried to argue our way out of it—probably the only thing we agreed on—but clearly, it didn't end well.

"She seems nice 'no?" I almost jolted in my seat when he suddenly spoke.

"Who?"

"Jamie." He answers plainly.

Jamie is what now?

"You serious? She's moody as fuck." His eyes widened by my words. He looks greatly surprised and confused all together.

"What?" I ask, mirroring the complete bewilderment on his face.

"Parang sobrang affected ka ata pagdating kay Jamie?" He narrows his gaze.

"No I'm not. The fuck are you talking about?" I look back at him, frowning before turning around to continue what I was reading earlier.

I shake my head, trying not to feel guilty about not mentioning the fixed marriage to him. I know Ivan is my best mate but he doesn't have to know about it because I'm gonna get myself out of it. I can and I will. I just need more time to convince my parents that Jamie and I are not compatible.

"Sige, pre, i-deny mo pa. Paniwalaan mo sarili mo. Paniniwalaan ko na rin sarili kong naiintindihan ko pa itong binabasa ko." I heard him sigh heavily.

Ivan stayed for lunch before going home. He complained about having a migraine, so he needed to rest. He didn't even review that much. He just dedicated his time asking and talking about Jamie. I'd like to think that he has a major crush on her but I know Ivan well enough to know his type and that's not Jamie. He likes Chinese women or Chinoy rin na katulad niya. So I don't know why he kept asking me about her. I don't even know her well enough to satisfy his curiosity.