chapter 1

im maria. my parents are both brazilian, and so am i. i speak english, portuguese, and a little bit of spanish. im better at understanding than speaking not going to lie. 

another day. i've been so tired of being with my family. they have always wanted what they chose for me. they had been forcing me to get married with this one guy. of course i had said no. this guy is named Erick. he sucked. he isn't the type of person you would want to date. trust me. to be honest. i didn't trust anyone. other than my best friend Julia. Oh she is the best. The one I have trusted the most. i have told her about everything that has been happening. everything.

today, i'm leaving my families house to go to hers. and never come back. my parents told me that i needed to leave. i hated thinking about the moment. 

flashback

"maria, we have some amazing news to tell you" my dad said with a smile on his face. i truly didn't want to even look at my parents. after everything they have done. just no. 

i just walked, and looked waiting for them to tell me. 

"you and Erick are going to get married!" my mom said. i couldn't keep my mouth shut with this one too. 

"no!" i said.

"what?" my dad said with his mood changing.

"no!" i said louder. this time they were mad. very mad. 

"we never asked for ur answer. you either marry him or move out!" my parents said. my own parents said.

"well then i guess i'm moving out." 

i ran upstairs not listening to what they had said and packed up clothes, make up, and my hair stuff, and some more and left. without saying a word.

flashback over

i had finally arrived at Julia's house. i paid my uber and got my stuff from the back. first thing she did was hug me. i hug her back. tightly. 

"my poor baby. you don't deserve this" julia said. 

"i just wasn't enough for them. i needed to get away from them anyways" i said. and it was true. i needed a break from them. maybe it's a lifetime break. either way, i don't want to be with toxic family.

Julia helped me with my suitcase inside. 

"but one thing" she said

"that is?" i said

"your coming to brazil with me" she said lookin at me to see my reaction.

"i can't. i don't even have enough to pay for my own ticket. and don't even say you will buy it becau-" julia then interrupts 

"i already bought it.." she said looking down.

"JULIA!" i said loudly

"you don't only need a break from your family. you also need a break from here. california itself. and who knows what your parents may do anyways"

 she was right. they could do anything. 

"how long is the trip" i said with a sigh.

"3-5 months" she replied.

i couldn't believe she said 3-5 months. 

"WHAT" i said

"time passes by fast. who knows it's not only just for 5 months" she said.

well now i know the trip isn't 3 months. it's 5. 

"ugh. when do we leave?" i asked.

"tomorrow at 5am. so we arrive towards the evening" she said.

i couldn't do anything. the tickets were bought so i had to go. it does sound fun. 

i chatted more with Julia until i headed into the guest room to get ready for bed. we would have to leave around 2-3 am to go through security and everything. 

my alarm went off at 1:30 like i set it up. i got up, checked my notifications. i also checked if after that i got dressed into some sweatpants and a zip up. i brushed my hair and brushed my teeth. i made the bed i had slept in. i went downstairs with my luggage.

"ready?" she asked

"yea" i replied

she had already ordered an uber. we had left. 

about an hour later we arrived at the airport. we went through security and everything. we were now sitting at our gate waiting to be able to get on the plane.

around 30 minutes later, the flight attendant says we are able to get onto our flight. me and Julia sat down. you can see how tired we are. we went to bed late. ti be honest i think i only got an hour of sleep. next time, i'm going to bed earlier. the flight started taking off. i decided to take a nap, it would be a long flight anyways. goodbye california, hello brazil...