Two

I watched as the knife sliced her neck. I let out a piercing scream as her body dropped to the floor. "Ava!" I rushed forward. Before I could touch her, I was thrown into the wall and her body was taken. He looked at me and took a step closer. I fell back into the wall, and he picked me up, pressing me against the wall. "Shh, talking is what just killed your sister."

I bolted up awake, sweat pouring off my body, and I reached for the bedroom light. I held my chest, trying to calm my heartbeat, which was racing as it always did when I dreamt.

My bedroom door opened, and Ethan rushed in. He handed me a glass of water, which I grabbed and took small sips. "You need to calm down," he whispered. "Breathe, in and out."

I nodded and did as he said. I placed the water on the bedside table. I pulled my knees up to my chest and tried to calm my breathing. My stomach gurgled. Flipping off the covers, I ran to the bathroom. Sick was rising in my throat as I reached the toilet, and I threw up as I sunk to the floor. A hand touched my back, moving my hair out of the way. I coughed as I threw up, then groaned, laying my head on the toilet.

"I wish you would let me take you to a doctor," he whispered.

I shook my head. I felt sick rising up my throat and threw up into the toilet again. I coughed and wiped my mouth on a towel.

He handed me the glass of water. "Small sips." I did as he said and slumped against him. "Do you want anything?" he asked as he rubbed my back.

I shook my head.

"Nightmare?"

I nodded.

"Your sister?"

I nodded. I had never once admitted it.

"I don't know what you are feeling, but I think I could imagine. I mean, if I lost my sister..." He shook his head.

I stood and grabbed the mouthwash, swishing some in my mouth. I then took a sip of water before I sank to the floor. I pressed my lips into a thin line and rubbed my pounding head. I shivered slightly. He stood and placed a hand under my legs and one around my back, then lifted me off the ground.

He placed me back into bed and pulled the cover over me, then kissed my head. "Goodnight, Mia, try to get some sleep." He walked out of the bedroom, closing the door.

Turning away, I stared out the window. This happened every night since he got here. At first, I hated him touching me, helping me, and even pushed him away. But every night he came back, willing to help me.

I watched as the sun rose—something I watched every day. I no longer slept all night; once I woke, I stayed awake. I climbed out of bed and sat at my desk. I pulled open the drawer and pulled out the notebook, then I grabbed a pen and began writing.

It happened again...

That's usually how all my entries began, and then they stopped because I didn't want anyone to ever know what I felt or thought. I would take that to the grave, just like Ava had.

There was a soft knock on my door, and I turned, closing the notebook. The bedroom door opened, and Ethan said, "Breakfast is ready, Amelia."

I stood and walked towards him. Before we stepped out of my room, he grabbed my arm, stopping me. "You didn't go back to sleep, did you?"

I shook my head.

"I'm worried."

I shrugged.

He led me out the bedroom, and I walked towards the dining room. Ethan stopped by the door and smiled softly. "I'll wait."