Best Friend

The two sat on Michael's bed not saying much. Mike decided to start. "We haven't really hung out much since you've been back." He recognized. Will turned away. "I.. I wasn't sure if you'd want to." Will mumbled. "W-What? Why wouldn't I want to, Will?" Mike asked frantically placing his hand on his shoulders causing Will to face him again. "I don't know..." He then looked down into his lap. Mike laid his hand down beside himself. "Will, you're my friend- my best friend, I'll always want to hang out! I'm here whenever you need, just call me, okay?" Mike looked to see if Will understood as he scooted closer. Will sighed and then looked up. "Thanks, Mike." Will mumbled. Mike nodded. "So, uh, has El said anything about me lately?" Mike asked his gaze anywhere but at Will. "She hasn't said anything at all about you, actually." Will realized. "Did something happen?" Will asked hands together.

"It's been the same since we came back. She hasn't even talked to me all that much and when she has it hasn't been like romantic or whatever, you know? What if she doesn't like me anymore?" Mike looked down. "Mike, she went through a lot. I think you should just give her some time." Will suggested. "It's been months, Will." "Just wait for her." Will looked at Mike's posture and expression. He looked as if their relationship were already over. Will got up. "In California." Will paused. Mike peered up at Will. "You couldn't tell her you loved her. You couldn't tell her you loved her without me pushing you to." Will paused to look at Mike's reaction. His eyes were wide and he looked extremely tense. "Mike, do you love El?" Will asked and with this Mike stood up and started to ramble. "Do I love her? Really, Will? How about that time in California when you told me that she commissioned that painting when really you painted that because you wanted to! Why did you even lie about that, huh?" Mike was walking closer to Will with every word. He looked angry to some degree. The question Will had asked clearly triggered something in him.

"It was just a stupid painting I made.. I just wanted to bring you two closer, I don't know... But that isn't what we're talking about right now, Mike." Will took a step closer glaring at Mike who's eyes shifted a little below Will's eyes. It went quiet. Mike's eyes then shifted back up at Will eyes that had softened. Mike backed up embarrassed. "I don't know." Mike mumbled. Will tilted his head. "Mike, this is something you're supposed to know, you can't-" "I know! I know.. I'm just confused right now." Mike yelled before sitting back down on the bed head in his hands. Will sighed and sat down next to him. "I'm really sorry." Will apologized feeling guilty. Mike lifted his head up and lowered his hands.

"You're always apologizing." Mike said looking at Will who looked down at the floor. "I shouldn't have lied to you about the painting. I didn't want you to focus on me.. I wanted you to focus on El." Will gripped the sheets of Mike's bed. Mike shook his head. "That's another thing. You're always making it about someone else. That painting was something from you to me! It.. It meant more when I heard it was from you but when you said El commissioned it I.. I...." Mike realized something and instantly turned away. Will was sweating. He was so nervous. He was shocked that Mike cared that much about some painting he made for him. Will smiled and hugged him. Mike tensed up but didn't deny him. He hugged Will back a bit relieved he hadn't asked him to continue.

"I don't love El." Mike said abruptly. Will pulled away. "Mike-" "You're really hot, you know that? You shouldn't have been out in the rain, now you probably got sick... Maybe if I had just reached out none of this would've happened." Mike blamed himself. "Mike, Vecna's actions have nothing to do with you. This wasn't your fault. Who knows, maybe I was just seeing things.. I'm just happy that I'm here.. With you." Mike smiled and laughed a bit. "Mike? Mike, why're you laughing?" Will asked a little hurt as he had just spilled his feelings. "Haha, no, I'm sorry, hahah, it's just that I really missed you. I've been thinking so much since we got back and most of it was you. You, Will Byers, the DND king are my best friend and I don't wanna be that jerk I was in California in Rink-O-Mania! I wanna be your best friend!" Mike exclaimed.

Will swore he could feel his heart skip a beat. He didn't say anything, instead he smiled and nodded. "Anyways, I'm like exhausted. Can we go to bed?" Mike asked a bit embarrassed by what he'd just said. "Yup, I'm super tired." Mike set up his bed with Will standing there awkwardly. "You get that side and I'll take this side. It's not that big but I don't have a sleeping bag or anything like that right now so-" "It's okay, Mike. I don't mind." Will calmed him. "Right, good. So.. Night!" Mike said turning off the lights. "Goodnight, Mike." Will said before getting into his bed. Mike walked from the light to bed and laid next to Will who tried his best to get comfortable. When the shifting in bed stop Mike broke the silence.

"Hey, Will?" Mike called. "Hm?" Will shifted facing Mike who laid on his back. "Can I tell you something?" Mike asked. "Mhm." There was a long silence and then Mike spoke. "In California, Will, when you lived there.." Mike turned his head to look at Will. "I tried to call you. I tried to call you a lot."

"More than half of the time no one answered

"More than half of the time no one answered." Mike said quietly. Then Will realized something. It was his mothers job refraining Mike from talking to Will as she was a telemarketer. "Mike, I'm so sorry.. My mom was a telemarketer. She was always on the phone for work.." Will's eyebrows furrowed. "Hey, it's okay. I should've sent you letters at least. I made the effort with El." Mike sighed eyes full of regret. "I should've sent you something." He mumbled gazing into Will's eyes. "It's over now, Mike. I'm here now. Instead of letters we get to talk and catch up face to face." Will said softly. "You're right." Mike agreed. "Well, for real this time, goodnight." Mike said flipping over on his side facing away from Will.

"Goodnight.." Will felt at ease, Mike had relieved him tonight. He'd been stressed about so much but Michael took a lot off his shoulders.

 He'd been stressed about so much but Michael took a lot off his shoulders

He felt as though he couldn't thank his friend enough. Mike was changing and it was good for Will.

"Thank you.."

Will whispered before drifting off to sleep. Mike didn't dare to turn over acting like he was asleep but even through the act he couldn't help but smile to himself.