Phase 3: Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"Anyone in particular you noticed tended to consistently be involved in some of these minor incidents you're describing?"

"I guess sometimes they same people would butt heads."

"Any names come to mind?"

"I suppose Roger was involved more than once. He doesn't always know when to quit."

"And this is Roger Conroy you're referring to?"

"Yes."

"Anyone else?"

"Not especially."

"Was there anyone you didn't get along with all that well back at the military school?"

"No. I respected my squad and in turn, they respected me."

"What about on the island?"

"Pardon?"

"Did you run into any major conflict with anybody on the island?"

"Not at first. But we didn't all share the same values anymore by the end of it."

"Was it yours or their values that changed?"

"Theirs, I'd say. I was focused on trying to do whatever we could to get rescued, and survive in the meantime. Some of the others let the slack go and started messing around when they could've been helping with food and shelter and the fire watch."

"What about Simon Bennett and Pieter Kingston? Were they part of the group that started slacking off, as you put it?"

"No. The three of us were always focused on getting rescued and such. Neither one of them ever lost sight of that before they... um, died."

"Was it only the three of you who stayed loyal to the goal of getting rescued?"

"By the end, yes."

"Going back to my initial question; was there anyone whose values especially conflicted with yours? Anyone you might've butt heads with a lot while you were on the island?"

"I guess Jack. And Roger. Eventually, they all had let go of the values we held when we first crashed."

"Jack is Jack Merridew? Your lieutenant colonel?"

"Yes."

"Would you say he was the first or one of the firsts to let go of those values you upheld?"

"He was."

"What was your relationship with Jack like prior to your time on the island?"

"We were friends. Close friends, actually. He spent part of the past summer at my house. We hardly ever had any trouble getting along before the island."

"What about on the island? When, as you stated, he let go of the values that resembled yours."

"We were still friends at first, but eventually started not getting along so well. We didn't agree on what was important."

"What did you believe was important?"

"Keeping the fire going, building and maintaining shelters, working as a team."

"And Jack?"

"He was focused on getting food. Hunting, to be specific. For pigs in the forest."

"Did you believe hunting for pigs was important?"

"I wasn't opposed to it, but I felt there were more important things to worry about first. Jack didn't."