Ever Heard of Privacy? (Jera)

Start from the beginning

Ever since coming back, he's noticed things that he hasn't before. Things that both thrill and terrify him. He's begun to notice Sera in ways he hadn't before; how the corner of her mouth would flick up at something amusing or the way she narrowed her eyes in boredom. How she would cross her arms and shift onto one leg when anxious or when she was being genuine, her eyes would soften along with her voice.

They were little things, but it was the thoughts of endearment and devotion accompanying them that made his heart seize in an uncomfortable way. 

At first, he thought it was just relief at seeing her again after so long and finally getting a chance to live a somewhat normal life.

But it was all too soon that he realized what this feeling was in a never ending string of 'oh sh*t' running through his mind.

It was a feeling that frightened him. Because if he admitted to that simmering feeling deep within his chest, John knew he would end up having to face it. And John...he wasn't ready yet. He wasn't experienced when it came to his emotions. The topics of love and affection were a foreign concept to him. 

But above all, whether she reciprocated or not, he didn't want to lose her as a friend. At the end of the day, she would always be his best friend first and foremost. He didn't take her for the type to leave over something like a confession, but he didn't want his feelings to strain the bond they already had.

If there ever did come a time where he would admit to what he felt for her, he wanted to do it right and when they had the time to focus on this. Because after all the struggles and lies that once clouded their relationship, this was the one thing he wanted to be absolutely honest and clear about.

He just had to find the words first...

.

.

.

It wasn't long before Sera came back with an ice pack wrapped up in a towel. "Here." She gave the thing a small toss to John who thanked her, quickly pulling up his shirt and nearly melting in relief as he held it to the bruise. 

John didn't seem to notice as her eyes roamed a tad, looking over him apart from the colors splotched across his skin. 

Sera only looked away when she realized she was staring for too long. Far too long...

'What are you doing Sera...? Get yourself together.' she berated herself.

After all, it wasn't the first time she's seen him without a shirt.

But it was the first time she's seen him without a shirt when feeling this way.

She didn't know when she began having such thoughts for him. Maybe she's always had these feelings? Maybe they were brand new? She couldn't figure it out.

All she knew was that over the last few months, her feelings for John had grown into something else. And it was one day that they were sitting and talking on the roof like usual that she looked at him and saw someone she couldn't imagine living her life without.

But how would she ever be able to tell him that?

Sera would never admit it, but while she excelled in every subject handed to her, the one thing she could never seem to grasp was emotions. And right now, she feared that her lack of understanding could destroy something very precious to her.

Was it healthy to keep this to herself? No, she knew that very well. But talking to John about this when they already had so much on their plates wasn't on her list of priorities.