Prologue.

PROLOGUE.   lovebomb

      Kennedy was not having a good day

      Kennedy was not having a good day. She rarely ever had good days. But this day was particularly worse, and she blamed it on her mother.

mom
kenny, honey, your grandmother
will be picking you up at the end
of the year. you'll be staying
with her for a while. i'm just
not in the right head space right
now for you to be here. i'm
afraid you being here will make
it worse. i'm sorry.

I'm afraid you being here will make it worse. She didn't even say I love you. Kennedy was used to her mom's bipolar behavior. But it never stopped her from feeling angry when her mother treated her this way. It was always her fault. Never hers. Kennedy released a frustrated cry and she threw her phone. She sank to the floor and gripped her bed sheets. She cried and cried until the cries were silent.

Presley came into their room and her eyes went wide. "Ken!" She gasped and dropped to her side. "Kennedy, what's wrong? Did something happen?"

"My—My mom. . . S-She. . ." Kennedy stuttered and cried again.

Her friend sighed, understanding completely. She wrapped an arm around her. "It's okay. It's okay. Just breath. What happened this time?"

Presley was used to her best friend's mother ruining her days. Kennedy was always crying over her. The pair had been roommates since they both started at Nevermore. They were best friends. Practically sisters.

Kennedy inhaled a deep, shaky breath to try and calm herself. "My mom said she doesn't want me to come home. She said me coming home will be bad for her. I'm staying with my grandmother."

Her friend frowned. "Oh, Kenny, I'm so sorry."

"Why doesn't she love me, Pres? What did I do?"

Presley tightened her arms around her. "It's not your fault, Ken. Your mom's problems are not your fault! Okay, I promise. Your grandmother will take care of you."

Kennedy laid her head on Presley's shoulder. "I'm just so tired, Presley. I'm tired of everything being my fault."

Kennedy's breakdowns were always the same. She's cry, Presley would do her best to calm her down, she'd clear her head, and then she'd move on as if nothing happened. It was easy for her to just go on about her day and not dwell on her sadness. She kept her emotions bottled up. Nobody needed to know what was going on with her.

She finished tying her hair into two pigtails. Her face was no longer red and splotchy from crying. She concealed her under eyes and put on mascara. "Don't let them see you cry." She whispered to herself. She shakily smiled at herself in the mirror.

She was thankful it was the weekend and that she didn't have classes. Kennedy walked downstairs to the lounge area. She jumped when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist. Xavier's laugh rang in her eyes. She rolled her eyes. "How many times have you told you to stop doing that?"