𝐈𝐕. 𝐁𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞𝐬

Start from the beginning

"Thanks for believing in me, Professor."

"No need to thank me, dear. Who you are today, is all of your own doing. Now, if you'll excuse me, I really must go and collect the new First Years from the boathouse. Take your place inside the hall, and we can get the school year started. But with the tournament, I fear it will be busier than ever." Minerva seemed to tut under her breath, and Edith got a final, proud smile before McGonagall strode down the steps, away from the doors connecting to the entrance hall of the Great Hall.

Edith watched the empty staircase for a few seconds longer, before wiping down her palms on her matching tweed trousers.

There was a muggle saying that Lewis liked to say, he would mutter it before a Quidditch match, before his early shifts at the cannery.... Edith missed hearing him talk to himself when he got home every night.

"...Time to face the music."

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

Edith kept her head down, thankful for the chattering of the students sat along the house tables as she walked along the wall, passing the giant fireplace built into the wall. Like a shadow or an afterthought, hardly anyone spotted the woman walking towards the staff table.

Edith slipped behind Professor Sprout, taking a seat in the new chair placed in between the Heads' of Hufflepuff and Gryffindor.

There was still an awkwardness there, like she was a First year sitting inside the staff room. That kind of nervousness that came without a reason. Hopefully, that would fade with time.

Edith watched as Professor McGonagall returned to the hall with the new pupils trailing behind her. She stood with her practiced posture beside the stool, calling out names one by one and watching as the sentient Sorting Hat placed them each within a Hogwarts House.

As the last student was sorted (a Holly Pentagast who was welcomed into Gryffindor) the students and the staff all clapped. Silence settled when Dumbledore took his place behind his podium, his aged face watching the students with a permanently calm smile.

"Now that we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well." Through the man's words, the doors to the Great Hall creaked open, and Argus Filch came awkwardly running up the hall, with various students smiling and giggling between themselves at his actions.

"You see, Hogwarts has been chosen–" Dumbledore paused when Filch reached him, and he leaned down, the two exchanging hushed words and whispers.

Edith leaned over slightly, muttering to McGonagall. "What's that about?"

Minerva shifted in place, an unimpressed look in her eyes. "It seems... our guests are a little too early."

Before Edith could enquire more, Dumbledore began to speak again. "Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard Tournament."

Students began to whisper amongst themselves, excited grins bouncing around their faces. "For those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools, for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single student is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say... these contests are not for the faint-hearted. But more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their Headmistress, Madame Maxine."