Chapter Nine

By the time we arrive, the driveway leading to Connie's house is chocked up by cars and mist.
Trees hang over the road, blocking the moonlight and surrounding us in a twisting darkness that makes goosebumps rise on my arms.

As we slow to a crawl, a voice in the back of my mind whispers that I shouldn't be here, and as we roll closer to the source of light pouring through the trees, the whisper transforms into a desperate scream. I tighten my fingers on the door handle, trying to ignore its rise in volume as I look at each car we pass – where the windows are occasionally steamed up with suspicious figures moving inside.

The blocked-up traffic doesn't seem to bother Archer, though, who drives smoothly past the idle machines, following the sound of music with his eyes narrowed against the churning darkness.
​'Are you sure we're going to have somewhere to park?' I ask, tightening my lips as I try to look further than the bright headlights allow.

​Archer slides me a look and, as usual, I can't decipher what it means. His tilted smile makes me think he's amused – perhaps even enjoying himself – but those eyes? They're like darts, piercing right through my skin as easily as a hot knife slides through butter. And whatever feeling I get when I look at him, it isn't a good one. Or maybe it is, judging by the hot flush of blood rushing up my neck.

'We'll find somewhere,' Archer replies simply, like I've asked a stupid question and should have known the answer.

I grit my teeth and bite back a retort, sliding back into the leather chair and hating how much I envy his car. Whoever invented heated seats is a saint, because I'd quite happily stay here all night, soaking up the warmth I know will disappear as soon as we step outside.

As we turn a corner, we find a large open space with even more parked cars. Archer's brows furrow and I bite back a smile, perhaps all too happy to comment on the fact that he probably should've listened to me. I'm about to open my mouth to say exactly that when Miya shuffles in her seat, poking her head between us.

'Don't worry about the lack of parking,' she says with an evil grin, 'Archer and Connie have a deal.'

​'A deal?' I can't help the frown that forms on my face.

​'A —'

​Archer's voice interrupts, and it's sharper than usual. 'Miya, drop it.'

​'No,' I say slowly, still figuring out the meaning of their words, 'what do you mean they have a deal?'

​Miya falls back in her seat with a plop, and even though I'm looking ahead at the large Lake House finally coming into view, I can practically see her smile. 'Let's just say,' she says, 'that Connie lets Archer park his car in her garage. Literally and – ouch, Archer!'

​I blink at Archer, who's just thrown something heavy at Miya.

'Were you never taught any manners?' I ask, trying but failing to tone down the sarcasm.
​He grins lazily. 'We don't really bother with that shit.'

I nod and look away, my stomach sinking as I finally grasp what Miya means, at the reason why Archer didn't want her to say it. Archer and Connie (whoever she is) aren't just friends, but something more. I grit my teeth and stare straight ahead as Archer says something to Miya, which makes her snap something back, but my mind is too busy to pick up their words.

A sour taste forms in my mouth and I'm not sure why. The thought of seeing Archer with a girl makes me feel uneasy, even though I've literally known the guy for a day.

Sure, it makes sense that someone like him has a girlfriend – I mean, look at him. It would be concerning if some girl hadn't snatched him up. But there was a voice inside my head, a small one that maybe entertained the idea that he was flirting with me. A voice that enjoyed it.