callback

MARCH 2ND, 1981

"no," "i dont think it goes right," "sorry,"
i am sick of hearing it!

"when will they all stop making up these bullshit lies on why im not fit for their bands?" i complained to my best friend Kayla, who is more focused on applying her lipstick than my frustration at the moment.

"i don't know, doll. i don't really understand this rock and roll thing, but have at it!" she smiled at me, not in a passive aggressive way, but in an honest one.

"you better start understanding it soon, because when we're famous you're going to be our fashion designer, miss Coco Chanel." i joked as i leaned over the diner table and ruffled her hair.

"ah! y/n! don't do that!" she chuckled as our food arrived. every time i have an audition, afterwards we always come here to this specific diner, 'donny's' near the Starwood and get grilled cheese.

i had just gotten back from a (failed) audition, from some shitty band named 'The Skulls', i shouldn't have even went. 9/10 chance-shitty name = shitty band, and they were. but the rejection is killing me!

"anything else i could get you girls?" the older lady asked us, "no thank you." i smiled at her.

"so, what'ca gonna do now?" Kayla questioned. "well, i put my name in the paper earlier, see?" i responded as i grabbed the newspaper in front of me and turned to the advertisements to show her.

"Y/N L/N: f-ing cool guitarist, bassist, or rhythmist available?" Kayla read aloud. "Kayla, it's 'fucking' not 'f-ing'. We've been over this." I joked.

"is 'rhythmist' even a word?" she chuckled. "fuck, i don't know? it should be if 'bassist' is." i replied taking another bite of my sandwich.

"i'm just hoping to get a call from someone." i admitted. "what if you don't?" Kayla asked. "I-I don't know. I haven't uh, really thought that far." i stuttered, that's all i wanted. i didn't want to be a nurse or some shit, i wanted to be someone.

"well, if fashion doesn't work out for me, i think i'll try photography." Kayla happily smiled. "At least one of us has a plan, maybe I'll just bum off you." I joked as Kayla laughed.

"I think I'm going to go to the troubadour tonight, do you wanna come?" I asked. "Eh, i don't know...i mean- how do you even get in there? you're underage." Kayla responded.

"Well, they usually let 19 year old girls in, but I just use Heidi's birth certificate to get in." i admitted.

Heidi was my older cousin who i live with here in L.A. She saved me from my parents. I ran away to L.A when i was 16 (1979) after me and my mom got into (another) pretty bad physical fight, and my dad is a drunk so he was no use. Heidi had already been trying to convince me to live with her anyways, so I called her up and ran away to L.A from Georgia.

"So are you coming or not?" I asked. "Hm...i guess. not for long though. only until around 1am, it's Friday night and you know I like relaxing on weekends." She agreed. "All right, well we need to go home and get changed then." I told her.

"y/n, my apartment is far away." kayla sighed.
"so, wear a dress of mine?" i volunteered. kayla sighed again, we were total opposites, she didn't want to be wearing my clothes.

we paid and left the diner, walking back to mine and heidi's apartment (which was only about 5 minutes) to get ready to go clubbing.

"im home!" i called out, but got no response. heidi was probably doing a shift at the strip club. "she's not home?" kayla asked. "no, but that means pre-gaming!" i smiled as i took two beers out of the fridge and gave her one. "y/n, you know im not really a 'beer' person." she laughed. "is that stopping you from drinking it?" i responded. "no," she chuckled "it's one less drink i have to buy at the club."