Goodnight Moon

He was finally home, after a small tour and coming home to have an entire day of press, he was home. He always stayed in hotels when he had press days to not disturb the routine Layla had set in place with the kids. She was experiencing some complications with this pregnancy and he wasn't thrilled about any time he had to be away from her. She told him that she was fine, but all of her FaceTime calls with him and the kids were in bed, or in the living room in the recliner, on the patio furniture while they played outside. He sighed, placing his head against his steering wheel. Was he ready for the chaos that would ensue when he walked in the house? The kids were and really had been at the right age for arguing with each other. Sam gulped as he got out of the car, pushed the button to close the garage door, and opened the door leading to his kitchen.

    The house was quiet for the most part, which he was thankful for, not ready for the chaos that he knew the house would be. The thing that caught his ear though, was his mother's voice conversing with his wife's. His mom didn't tell him she was coming down? How long had she been there? He could hear Layla softly helping Juniper with her homework. "Sam! I can hear you." His mother's voice rang out, yet, neither of the kids came running. He'd been gone for a month to prepare for being off with Birdie. He rounded the corner from the mud room to the kitchen to find his mom cleaning up the kitchen, and his wife and both kids at the table. Looking at Layla made his heart drop. Her normal indescribable beauty while still there was washed out. The golden tint in her brunette locks looked ashen, the dark circles underneath her eyes made a stark contrast to her less than healthy pale skin, the freckles that he once loved to count as they fell asleep next to each other were barely visible. The symptoms she had been describing while he was on tour were anything but as simple as she had led him to believe.

    His mother looked up from her place at the sink, he felt like his feet were frozen to the spot he was standing and his eyes which were starting to well with tears were glued to his wife. Karen gave him a sad look, "Hey kiddos, let's go get cookies for Mommy like she said sounded good." "Okay, Nana." He still couldn't move from his spot, even as his kids shuffled around him. He had been on the phone when the doctor gave her the diagnosis, but had assured him everything would be fine. His wife was the sun for him, his whole world revolved around her, and looking at her, she looked like she was burning out and slowly dying. He couldn't lose her. Not now, not ever. He had promised to love her until they were old and gray and now she was twenty eight with the possibility of losing her life over growing their child. His panic and grief exploded into anger the second he heard the front door closed, "Layla Rae! What the fuck is this?! Why is my mom here?!" "To help with the house," she replied calmly, as if it was common sense and he wasn't seeing it. "You should've called me!" He exclaimed, flinging his arms around, "They're my kids! This is my house! I shouldn't be left in the dark about anything and my mother be sneaking behind my back!" She rolled her eyes, scooting back in her chair, "Nobody is sneaking, Samuel. You were working." "You're my wife, I'm here for you." She scoffed, "It's fine. The band needed you at one hundred percent and if I told you the doctor took me from class I to class II, you wouldn't be one hundred percent." Sam slammed his hands down on their island, "Fuck the band! You are my wife! These are our children! We could've canceled shows!" "And be upset with yourself and have fans be upset with the both of us? No. I just called your mom." She slowly rose from her seat, wincing in pain. He gave her a look of concern as she struggled to breathe as she walked through the kitchen. "It's not my heart, she's just heavy." He came up behind her as she settled at the sink for water. He wrapped his arms around her, lifting her belly, earning a groan and a sigh of relief. This was something he had learned to do when she was pregnant with Juniper and it had quickly become one of his favorite things to do.

    Sam put his head on her shoulder, pressing his cheek into hers. "What does class II mean?" "I have symptoms with exertion now. I haven't been able to leave the house and it's been terrible. Because once I'm better and on medication, I want to have a meeting with Juni's teacher." She got sick leaving the house, and something was wrong with Juniper. What the fuck had happened in the month he had been gone? "Have you been sleeping?" "You know I both never sleep well without you or pregnant, and it's been both options. But no. The up in class has caused me to have to pee every forty five minutes, and both kids have been sleeping in our bed, and you know Atlas and his sleep schedule. And we haven't been able to do our usual because your mom's been on the couch." "Think she'll get a hotel tonight and go home tomorrow now that I'm back?" He kissed across her shoulders, letting her belly down lightly. "Yes, but I know you and I know you're going to want to talk with her." "I will, but I'm not ready right this second. I still have a lot to process, and I want us to see the doctor together. But, I'm doing bed time tonight." Her head lolled back, "You know it's better when we tag team. Let me at least just do our boy." "Fine. But I'm helping."