THREE

CHAPTER THREE:
benny and the jets.

         Riley was really beginning to question her life choices

Riley was really beginning to question her life choices. How could she have been so stupid to agree to some friendship pact with Rooster? Especially when all she could do was sit there and gawk at him as his fingers danced across the piano keys, finding the melody. She could feel her heart race and her skin turn hot, remembering the feeling of those fingers running through her hair. It was humiliating.

Penny's bell from behind the bar suddenly rang out, snapping Riley from her heated thoughts. She glanced across as everyone began chanting 'overboard'. It became clear to Riley that someone had broke Penny's bar rules. 'Disrespect a lady,
the navy, or put your phone on my bar: you
buy a round' was what a plaque read behind the bar. Riley had briefly remembered Jake telling her that a few of their rounds had been on an 'old-timer' for breaking Penny's rules and so she assumed this was that person hitting a wall and running out of funds to pay for anymore rounds.

Jake suddenly brushed by his sister with Coyote and Payback in tow. He leaned down to his sister in passing, "Now this is my idea of fun." He wiggled his eyebrows at her and she rolled her eyes. Her brother was real sadistic like that—he loved the moment when someone broke the bar rules, because he would be the one to immediately carry them out and humiliate them; although Riley remembered a time where it had been Jake being the one carried out after their first time at the Hard Deck when he had first attempted to flirt with Peyton. Of course, she rang that bell and basked in Jake's humiliation as he was carried outside and thrown into the sand.

Her brother, Coyote and Payback carried the man out over the sound of the cheering and clapping. But once the man was tossed out of the deck, the cheering turned towards Rooster. It was started by Phoenix who soon had the entire Hard Deck chanting Rooster's name.

Rooster looked across at Riley, gave her a wink and then slid his sunglasses down onto his nose before punching in the first few notes of Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lewis. This was a favourite of Rooster's and Riley had watched him perform it many times. Usually, she would be up there singing it with him.

The moment he began belting out the song Riley was reminded of how talented he really was—and not just because he was good at singing and playing the piano but because of how he managed to grip the attention of the entire bar within one moment. He was so charismatic it hurt.

"Holy shit, I haven't heard him do that in a hot minute," Peyton said, suddenly appearing by Riley's side. She turned to her, grinning massively, "Come on, we're dancing." She grabbed Riley's hand and began dragging her towards where Rooster was giving it his all on the piano, belting out the song with his fellow aviators.

"Peyton, you're working!" Riley exclaimed but she was laughing as her friend pulled her through the singing and dancing crowd.

"Honey, Rooster is on the piano—that calls for a dance break," Riley threw her head back, laughing, "Now dance with me!" She yelled, grabbing onto her hands and hauling her to the piano.