I Robot, You Jane

Start from the beginning

"Talk about feeling like a third-wheel," I said as we started to walk to our next classes.

"Check out the jealous man!" Buffy teased him.

"What are you talking about?" Xander asked her confused.

"You're jealous."

"Of what?"

"Willow's got a thang, and Xander's left hanging," Buffy explained.

"Oh, that's meaningless drivel. I'm not interested in Willow like that," Xander assured her.

"Yeah, but you got used to being the Belle of the Ball," she reminded him.

"Being the only guy in the group will do that to you," I teased.

"No, it's just... this Malcolm guy? What's his deal?" Xander asked. "I mean, tell me you're not slightly wigged."

"Okay, slightly. I mean, just not knowing what he's really like," Buffy admitted.

"Or who he really is," I added with a worried look.

"I mean, sure he says he's a high school student, but I can say I'm a high school student," Xander said and Buffy and I shared a look.

"You are."

"Okay, but I can also say that I'm an elderly Dutch woman. Get me?" He asked us. "I mean, who's to say I'm not if I'm in the elderly Dutch chat room?"

"I get your point!" Buffy laughed before truly understanding his meaning. "I get your point. Oh, this guy could be anybody. He could be weird, or crazy, or old, or... He could be a circus freak. He's probably a circus freak!"

"Yeah. I mean, we read about it all the time. Y'know, people meet on the 'Net, they talk, they get together, have dinner, a show, horrible ax murder," Xander said and our eyes widened at his words.

"Willow ax murdered by a circus freak... Okay, okay, what do we do?" Buffy asked before realizing her paranoia and hitting Xander lightly on the arm. "What are we doing? Xander, you get me started! We are totally overreacting!"

"But it's fun, isn't it?" He asked with a grin and we all laughed.

I was in the locker room with Buffy when Willow came running in.

"Whoa! Hey there Late Girl," Buffy greeted without a smile.

"I overslept," she said and I shared a look with Buffy.

"We guess, but till fifth period?" I asked her and she gave me a small look.

"Talkin' to Malcolm last night?" Buffy asked her.

"Yeah." She turned to us and saw the looks we shared with each other. "What?"

"Nothing."

"You're having an expression," Willow told us.

"I'm not. But if I was, it'd be saying, 'This just isn't like you.'" Buffy told her.

"Not like me to have a boyfriend?" Willow asked.

"Not like you to blow us off," I corrected.

"He's boyfriendly?" Buffy asked.

"I don't understand why you don't want me to have this. I mean, boys don't chase me around all the time. I thought you'd be happy for me," Willow said angrily.

"I just want you to be sure. To meet him face to face. In daylight, in a crowded place with some friends," Buffy told her.

"We just think you two should safely meet before you become all... serious," I told her.