One

"Get your shit together be out there in five"

Jesus Christ.

I am not a morning person, nor will I ever be. Dean was the man who just woke me up. It's five fifteen am, and I'm supposed to be getting around, but my body refuses to obey. All the other soldiers got around before I did, which wasn't a good look on my part.

Damn get it together.

Today is one of importance because I am joining Task Force 141. I'm not sure I'm thrilled about it, but they're just a bunch of men, and men listen like dogs.

I put on my uniform for the day as quick as I could, which is army pants, a tight black T-shirt, and combat boots. I grabbed my duffel bag and headed out.

Today was a gloomy day. Rain drizzled throughout the week, making the ground soft under my feet. It made me want to sit outside and enjoy it before the heat rolled in again, but I made my way to the second building. I knew Dean was inside already thinking of something snarky to say when I arrived.

Dean and I go back some. He was my captain for a while, but later on, I called him a friend. He was always there when I needed him. We bonded over time through missions.

Dean is a smartass but one of the toughest guys I know.

"Were you just gonna sleep in all day or what?"

"Not my intention, but if you insist-" I say sarcastically.

"Sit Down, Lieutenant," Dean says in response.

I sit and we go over all the documentation that I need to know before I leave. He then sets down folders that are documented TF 141.

"These guys will be your crew for a while, so you should know who they are," Dean says sternly.

He pulls out folder by folder displaying the names, ages, aliases, ranks, and other details that outline the basic understanding of who these men are.

"John MacTavish, SAS. Sniper-demolitions. goes by Soap."

"Why?" I ask.

"That's classified"

Why soap, out of all names... soap I thought.

"There he is..." Dean chuckles. "Simon Riley"

He slides the folder to me.

"There's no picture?"

"Never" Dean answers swiftly.

He proceeds to hand the remaining folders to me so I can read them for myself. Before I could even speak someone radioed him.

"... I'll be right there." Dean gets up out of his seat and faces me. "I'll meet you outside in twenty I need to take care of something before I let you go."

He was out the door before I could say anything. This gave me some time to look over the files I needed. I looked through two other soldiers' documents, but my mind kept trailing off to the man by the name of Simon.

I decided to open it and aid my curiosity.

There was hardly much known about him other than a vague understanding of his past work. He goes by the name Ghost, which I need to figure out when I get the chance. He was a Lieutenant like me.

This is going to be interesting.

It dawned on me that twenty minutes had passed by the time I finished reading over a folder of a man named Gaz. I had to meet Dean outside right about now.

I placed all the folders in a neat pile and got up. I slung my duffel bag over my shoulder and headed to our helipad.

I said my goodbyes to the soldiers who passed, noting that I might never see them again. This didn't sadden me, though. I felt more optimistic about joining this task force than before.

A man approaches me with a kind smile and an extended hand. "Captain John Price, I'll be your captain for a while. I am in charge of Task Force 141. It's a pleasure to meet you." His handshake was firm and I returned the gesture.

"Wren Creed, It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. Looking forward to joining the team."

"Well, I'm sure you'll get settled in quick," he says.

"Sorry for interrupting the introduction. How are you, Price." Dean says with a smile plastered on his face. Hugging him like an old friend.

"Making it through, barely," Price chuckles at his response, and so does Dean.

They continue catching up as I stand there like I'm third wheeling on something before I butt in.

"Shouldn't we get going," I say, trying not to come off as impatient.

"Yes, we should," Price says.

He says his goodbyes to Dean and heads to the helicopter, beginning to speak to the pilot.

"I'm going to miss you kid" Dean says.

"I'm gonna miss you too, you better not forget about me."

"That's impossible for me to do and you know that." Dean smiles at me before embracing me in a hug that I wish I could've held onto longer. He let go and his smile faded when he met my eyes.

"Don't falter under these guys. Some of them will challenge you until you give up. I don't want you to back down, no matter how hard it gets. I know you'll do great things out there."

"Who are you referring to?" I ask, "Do you know something, Dean."

"It doesn't matter Wren, you need to go."

As much as I wanted to argue, he was right, and I knew his stubborn ass wouldn't say anything more. I'll just have to figure it out myself. I said my goodbyes and boarded the helicopter.

Price gave me a headset to communicate with him during the flight. As we rose into the air, my mind started to drift. I thought about what Dean said and decided to ask Price himself about the faceless man.

"I have a question for you." I say observing Price.

"Ask"

"Who is Simon Riley, he doesn't have hardly anything in his identification folder?"

Price looks at me for a few seconds with a blank stare that I can't seem to understand.

"He likes to go by Ghost, so when you meet him, don't refer to him by his biological name." Price corrects me.

"You didn't answer my question." I say

"Ghost is one of the strongest men I've ever met, not just physically," Price says, looking out the window before meeting my eyes again. "He doesn't have a photo because he refuses to show his face to anyone."

"So he wears a mask?" I ask

"Yes." I could tell he wanted to be finished with this conversation by his tone of voice. I look at Price, studying him. He gives me a bland expression before turning to look out the window again.

Throughout the entire flight, my mind wandered. I am the kind of person who studies people. I enjoy it.

Ghost has become the focal point of my thoughts, and I hardly know who this man is... It made no sense.

-

-

-

-