Chapter 6: Custody

"But I didn't do anything, I swear! She's lying!" I heard my mother scream as the police put her in handcuffs.

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to cooperate, and understand that everything you say can and will be held against you in court. Although I'm not sure there will be a court case at all, because you're going straight to prison for mistreatment of children and enslavement of children," he said coldly. The wails of my mother rang in my ears like a twisted melody, and it made me smile with acceptance and calmness. I feel Michael clinging onto my leg, with Kiley on the other side, holding my hand gently.

"Sis, you came back!" I heard Michael cheer. I lean down and run my fingers through his hair playfully, making him giggle, and lean into my hand sweetly.

"Mikey, please, I'm your momma, not her, tell them you wanna go with me," my mother continuously pleaded from the car. I walked up to the car window as it shut, Michael clinging onto one of my hands with Kiley holding the other. Knowing what my mom would pull, however, I passed my hand holding his and theirs holding mine to each other, so that Kiley could hold onto him, who he clung onto.

Thankfully throughout all of this, Michael knew that I trust Kiley. So in his mind, if I could trust Kiley, so could he.

"Mother, if I'd even call you that, I'll talk to you through the phone. I'll visit when you call. But we need to discuss a couple things, and I need to hammer a couple facts into your head, so you can make sense of all the decisions you made that led up to this situation," I said sorely. As she was about to speak, the window started rolling up, which caused her to forget that she wanted to respond. Since she couldn't speak through the window, she groaned angrily, slamming her hands on the back of the seat before I saw the car drive away.

I turned to Kiley and they let go of Michael's hand, who leaped out of their arms to give me a big hug. I missed it a lot.

"Can we go get food, sis?" he asked politely, looking up at me with puppy eyes.

I forgot how much he's grown since I last saw him. And if anything, he's as thin as a stick.

"Sure bud, that'd be good, now go inside and get your new change of clothes, and Kiley will meet you in the bathroom- how long has it been since you last had a bath?" I asked. Michael stood there, holding his finger to his chin, pondering, before holding up an open hand with his fingers outstretched. "Five days?" I ask. He nods in response, and I nod silently before pushing him towards Kiley. "Thanks for helping out, I'm gonna go unpack and start organizing the house," I said peacefully.

"Alright, don't take too long, and don't stress yourself out too much," they said, before planting a kiss on my cheek and then the bridge of my nose, before walking inside, hand in hand with Michael.

Thankfully, the only building that was destroyed was the actual important building. The apartment buildings were still in good shape, and each of the students went back through the woods with escorts of the police to retrieve their left-behind items amidst the evacuation panic. Me and Kiley, along with the other four, went there about 3 months ago, and me and Kiley have been hiding out in Reece and Felicity's place before my mother was arrested and I was granted custody of Michael.

==============================================================================

"Okay, so, what did you tell the police exactly?" Felicity pondered. I stuck a fork into my dinner that they politely provided for us, and as I swallowed it.

"They told me that they'd sort it out, but they didn't seem to be doing anything at all about it," I shrug. I feel Kiley's hand creep to my leg and rub my thigh, a silent comfort form.