"I'm sure you'll dazzle us all with hitherto unsuspected magical skills," yawned Fred.

"And speaking of hitherto unsuspected skills, Ronald," said George, "what is this we hear from Ginny about you and a young lady called — unless our information is faulty — Lavender Brown?"

Ron turned a little pink, but did not look displeased as he turned back to the sprouts.

"Mind your own business."

"What a snappy retort," said Fred. "I really don't know how you think of them. No, what we wanted to know was . . . how did it happen?"

"What d'you mean?"

"Did she have an accident or something?"

"What?"

"Well, how did she sustain such extensive brain damage?"

"Careful, now!"

Mrs. Weasley entered the room just in time to see Ron throw the sprout knife at Fred, who had turned it into a paper airplane with one lazy flick of his wand.

"Ron!" she said furiously. "Don't you ever let me see you throwing knives again!"

"I won't," said Ron, "let you see," he added under his breath, as he turned back to the sprout mountain.

"Fred, George, I'm sorry, dears, but Remus is arriving tonight, so Bill will have to squeeze in with you two."

"No problem," said George.

"Then, as Charlie isn't coming home, that just leaves Harry and Ron in the attic, and if Fleur shares with Ginny and Ella—"

"—that'll make Ginny's Christmas —" muttered Fred.

"— everyone should be comfortable. Well, they'll have a bed, anyway," said Mrs. Weasley, sounding slightly harassed.

"Percy definitely not showing his ugly face, then?" asked Fred.

Mrs. Weasley turned away before she answered. "No, he's busy, I expect, at the Ministry."

"Or he's the world's biggest prat," said Fred, as Mrs. Weasley left the kitchen. "One of the two. Well, let's get going, then, George."

"What are you two up to?" I asked.

"Can't you help us with these sprouts? You could just use your wand and then we'll be free too!" Ron suggested.

"No, I don't think we can do that," said Fred seriously. "It's very character-building stuff, learning to peel sprouts without magic, makes you appreciate how difficult it is for Muggles and Squibs —"

"— and if you want people to help you, Ron," added George, throwing the paper airplane at him, "I wouldn't chuck knives at them. Just a little hint. We're off to the village, there's a very pretty girl working in the paper shop who thinks my card tricks are something marvelous . . . almost like real magic. . . ."

"Gits," said Ron darkly, watching Fred and George setting off across the snowy yard. "Would've only taken them ten seconds and then we could've gone too."

The urge to run after Fred was strong. After all, what business did he have going with George to flirt with the paper store girl? But I continued peeling sprouts regardless, convincing myself that I had nothing to worry about.

***

I woke up to a ping, ping, ping coming from Ginny's window. I got up, stepped around Fleur's camp bed, and peeled back the curtain.

Outside, Fred was enchanting pebbles to fly at the window pane. I rolled my eyes.

"Come down!" he mouthed.

I nodded, hurrying over to the door and slipping out into the hall. I tiptoed down the creaky stairs, pulled on my shoes, and crept out the back door.

"Took you long enough," Fred breathed, putting his wand away. "Come on, we haven't got all night."

"Where are we going?" I hurried after him. He was already far ahead, seeing as his legs were much longer than mine.

"Curious Ella," he smirked. "Just wait."

We walked until we reached the village, the one he and George had just visited. We walked past the shops, which were all closed for the night. Cottages nearby had all their lights off, and it felt like Fred and I were the only ones awake for miles.

On the outskirts of the village, there was a small swingset and a gazebo. Fred took my hand and led me inside.

"George and I used to come to this playground," he said quietly. "There used to be a slide and a sandpit, but we fooled around quite a bit. Turned the sand into caramel, if I remember correctly. Dad wasn't pleased, of course."

"What happened to the slide?" I asked, leaning my chin on his shoulder.

"That's a story you have to hear from Ron," he chuckled.

"So why'd you bring me here?" I whispered.

"So I could do this..." Fred kissed me passionately, and I didn't hesitate to return the favor.

Before I could comprehend what was going on, he had me pinned up against one of the posts of the gazebo.

"Shall we?" he said breathlessly, raising his eyebrows.

"Definitely," I nodded, and he pulled me to the ground.