Ruined

The corset was too tight. She couldn't breathe. Cecily pressed her fingertips to the bare flesh above the trim of her décolleté. Her heart beat steadily, which seemed quite peculiar in the circumstances. She felt a little peculiar. Light headed. As if she might swoon.

Forcing another breath, she ventured another look through the French doors to the dimly lit gardens. There was no mistaking what she had seen. Ferdy Leighton, her fiancé to be, embracing her cousin Letitia. Beautiful, elegant Letitia of the natural gold ringlets under the powder, sapphire blue eyes and a figure not at all reliant on expensive corsetry to push out her bosom and give her that slender waist above the paniers. Well, perhaps the waist needed a little assistance. Certainly Ferdy seemed to enjoy putting his arm around that portion of her cousin's anatomy.

She turned from the window, pressing her hand to her own waist. If she swooned, everyone would know she'd finally found out. At least the sly whispers from her supposed friends were now explained. 

"Breathe slowly." The voice came from the door to the anteroom.

Now her heart did skip more than a little. "Lord Loughbridge." She dipped her head as she curtseyed. His tall figure commanded the room and she quailed at his severe expression.

"You are soon to be my sister-in-law, there is no need to be quite so formal, surely?"

She darted a glance outside and his gaze followed hers. One corner of his mouth twitched.

"Or perhaps not?" His long fingers toyed with his quizzing glass.

"I don't think I could, my lord. Although I daresay it will be most uncomfortable. And rather humiliating."

"Because she is a peacock and you are a sparrow?"

She bit her lip at his apt comparison. "You see my problem, sir."

He chuckled and she bridled at him.

"No, no, little sparrow. Do not fluff your feathers. I'm rather partial to small brown sparrows. I find them...most estimable."

"My parents are preparing to make the announcement tonight. I must go to them. Tell them..."

"Too late, child, they are on their way here."

"What shall I do? I cannot go through with it."

He moved with assured grace across the room so she had to look up at him, he stood so close. "Do you trust me, Cecily?"

"I...would like to."

He smiled and she was reminded why so many women pursued him. Why her own heart betrayed her more than once in his presence.

His arms scooped her against him and his lips pressed against her mouth, seeking, demanding. What would her parents think of her in the embrace of such an accomplished rake? With a small surge of triumph she considered the pitying looks of the other young women changing to envy. A gasp of shocked outrage came from the door.

She hardly cared. He really was quite delicious. Reaching up, she wrapped her arms around his neck. It was time to be thoroughly, and most enjoyably, ruined.