the role you were born to play

The timeline is a bit different in this chapter, just mainly who auditions when!!:)

***

SHE WOKE UP in a bed that wasn't her own. The amber hue of the morning gazed through the curtains, which had failed to do their intended job. The sluggish movements as she realised she was somehow still in her clothes from the day prior, her hand, covered in smudged, blue ink, somehow was still resting on some unfinished lyrics to a hypothetical song she would be burning to oblivious in her back garden as soon as she could.

She groaned as she ran her hand through her hair, which felt as if the grease building up. Charlotte flopped pathetically back onto the luscious bed, her head sinking into the pillow, as the floorboards creaked.

"Hi," Marley said, as she sat at the edge of her own bed. Charlotte looked at her before she sat up in an action to try to be nice and defeat the tension.

Charlotte bit her lip before she spoke, "I feel hungover, except I'm not."

Marley's eyes widened, "You drink?" She queried, her voice unsteady.

The blonde let out a light laugh, "Did you not know?" Marley shook her head, as she played with her hair slightly, as an awkward silence overcame them. "I should probably go home."

"No, no, no, you're fine, don't worry Charlotte. You're fine."

Charlotte moved the quilt away, as she reached over and grabbed her bag from the floor. "I'm 99% sure I shoved my Cheerios uniform in there." She shrugged, digging around in the small bag. Marley stayed silent, and Charlotte pulled out her Cheerios uniform and two mismatched socks. "I did. Be proud, Marls."

"So proud, Lottie, so proud," Marley mumbled, not meeting her eyes. "Are you really okay? Coming to my house in the middle of the night is not that normal, sweetheart."

Charlotte scrunched up her nose, as she nodded furiously, "Totally fine, all good, don't worry, all good." She repeatedly mumbled, "Can I use your bathroom? I don't wanna rock up into school looking like I just won a racing competition of running through orphanages with the Flash."

"Of course, uh it's down the hall and to your left." Marley told her, as Charlotte went over to the door, "Does your mom know where you are?"

Charlotte contemplated, trying to recall the blur of the night before. "Uhm, I think she's got a general idea?"

"Charlie..." She sighed.

"Okay," She exaggerated her words, "I will see you after I become less of a mess." Charlotte gave her the thumbs up as she disappeared to change.

***

Getting the bus to school and confirming to her mom that yes, she was alive, and no, she was not that sorry for barely telling her she left and disappeared for the night. She finally arrived at school, soon silencing her phone and splitting away from Marley's side, she made her way down the hallway, and as the noticeboard came to her attention the gigantic words of the page in the centre drawing her attention.

GREASE

She raised her eyebrows at the number of signups it already had. Defeating any unusual anxiety about having to perform in front of the whole of the idiotic population of McKinley high, she scribbled her name onto the sheet, avoiding her full name at all costs.

Charlie Clarington.

With hearts above the I's, she proudly beamed, her whole body practically took a screenshot as a voice appeared behind her. "You're signing up?" She turned around, leaving the pen attached to the sign-up sheet swinging, as Marley was there, "What role do you want?" Marley asked, sweetly, swaying on her heels.