5. slender fingers and cruel mouths

Start from the beginning

Two of the Bridgertons chauffeurs carry Cornelius' harp as they are shown inside the grand house. Not quite as big as their beautiful home out in the country, which Cornelius had been to once as a guest at a ball, and had been quick to find a dark alcove once he had grown tired of the dancefloor. But, nonetheless, it is bigger than the house that he had grown up in, far more rooms to accommodate all the children of the Viscountess and the late Viscount, and many more in case of guests. Cornelius' mother was ceaseless in her attempts to get his father to let go of his family home, and yet he could not quite bear to say goodbye.

Cornelius has refused to walk past Barrow Hill Place since his return to London.

The inside is covered in beautiful white marble. They are carted through without having a chance to stand and take it all in, but Cornelius can still faintly remember the beautiful staircase with the black iron bannister winding upwards. He flirted with someone on that staircase, their back pressing into the iron, their cheeks blazing red. He'd left them alone for the rest of the night, but for those twenty minutes, he had them pressed right beneath his thumb.

The other servants are setting up for the reception.

This ballroom is the largest that Cornelius has ever seen, besides from the royal ballroom, of course. The Bridgertons have used up every expense on the beauty of their house, the high ceiling, the black-iron balconies, the beautiful detailing carved into the plaster. There is a shimmering golden chandelier dangling high above them and every so often a candle flickers as if a breeze fluttering over it. There are gorgeous white flowers everywhere, and tables awaiting food. The guests will be arriving soon and the food will be brought out, enough to feed every guest a hundred times.

What will happen when the party is over and they have enough left over to feed the poorest quarters of town?

Most likely, it will all go to the dogs. If they don't have dogs, then the servants can have some.

They are led over to a small raised stage for them to fit all of their instruments. They thank Viscountess Bridgerton as they start to pull their instruments in the direction of where they will be sitting, and watch as she rushes off to check on the rest of the preparations.

"Lovely harp." Cornelius tries to hide his smile as he turns to face the Bridgertons second son. Benedict wears a lovely blue suit, his hands held behind his back, but he leans forward just enough for his breath to fan over Cornelius' ear when he speaks. "Far lovelier harpist."

Cornelius wishes he was not so easily swayed, but when he has Benedict Bridgerton whispering sweet nothings in his ear, it would be hard for him not to sway just a little. His family is nowhere to be found, only the few servants making sure all the flowers are in the right spaces, and the Travelling Company setting up their instruments.

Lavinia scoffs when she catches sight of them and goes back to tuning her redwood cello.

"Flirting with me where everyone can see, Mr Bridgerton. I am afraid I have ruined you after all."

"I'm not afraid of ruination."

For the love of God and all that is holy, how badly Cornelius wants to rip this suit off of Benedict and have his way with him. Force him to say those pretty words as he takes all of him in the comfort of his own home. Taste the tears on his lips as he cries out for more.

He shakes his head to rid himself of the thought.

He must control himself today.

"Here." He plucks the pink rose from his pocket and holds it towards Benedict. The artist stares down at it with wide eyes, the rose-tinged blush already starting to run over his nose. Cornelius wishes he could lean up and press soft kisses everywhere it spreads. Would it feel hot beneath his lips or as cold as Benedict usually is? The artist takes the flower between his fingers and twirls it, the petals kissing the knuckles of his fingers as he does so.