5. All mutts go to hell

Start from the beginning

As the boyish laughter subsided, a concerned little boy was peering over the twins, emerald eyes blown wide in concern. "Are you guys okay?" Izuku gasped, stretching out a hand that M/n gratefully took to stand up.

Leaning on his shoulder, Katsuki watched his brother being pulled up by the weakling, the fuzziness leaving him like steam from a doused flame. Glaring at the two, he whacked away Midoriya's other hand which lofted near his chin, and brushed his knees off. Upon the caps was the imprint of the asphalt and wood chips.

It was perhaps nice that this was the only imprint on his skin, unaware that his future frame was warped with burns, twisted like cauterised plastic. For now, the shallow indents of a playground was the best wound to have.

He watched as M/n and Izuku trailed off to the swing-set, the metal above creaking as they sat themselves. M/n's fingers hesitantly grappled the chains, allowing the cool metal to flood his tense nerves.

He and Izuku chatted and chatted, eyes full of stars as they talked about the latest feat of All Might. M/n secretly wasn't a huge fan of the big smiling man, but whatever made Izuku happy, made him inevitably happy too.

Seeing this was blatant mockery, a stab through the chest for Katsuki. Those two, acting like what he and M/n were. Snarling like a puppy, the young Bakugou trudged up behind his friend with braced hands and violently shoved the green-haired boy. "Katsuki!" His brother gasped, aiming to jump off and help their snivelling friend.

"That was really mean, Kachan!" Midoriya wailed, globs of water filling his eyes and dripping down to mingle with his snotty nose. M/n didn't want Mrs Midoriya to be upset about not looking after her son, so swooped down to help.

"Yeah, well he's my brother. Not yours!" The tiny blond yelled back, fists clenched to his sides in rage.

He was met with a swift thwack to the back of the head, reminiscent of his mother. "I'm taking us all home now, c'mon you two." M/n huffed as Izuku and Kat gingerly took his hands. Midoriya wiped his tears on the way home, the vulnerable sight made M/n's frown deepen. "Disappointed in you Kat." The older brother huffed, "Sometimes people who don't have a brother need one. I'm not just 'yours', understand?"

Kat harrumphed, and the unhappy trio wandered off into the night.

That was years ago now. Katsuki found himself jostled from the memory as the truck creaked to a halt.

Pulling back the tarp roof, he peeked above to witness a blood chilling scene: craters littered the surface, the surroundings turned alien with smoke and fire and ash. No child should have to witness this. Yet here they were, supplied graciously by the YHA and UA. This was what they'd signed up for... but not for it to come so soon.

Murmurs of a war beginning had been dismissed, laughed off as the League's petty grievances... and now students were tossed into the throes of a murderous chorus with tensions boiling and heads rolling. What a horrible time to be a hero.

"Bakugou! We need you on the front line with Deku and yer brother!" An adult reigned him in, strapping a bullet-proof vest to his chest. He and his brother were at the age now when they wore matching bullet-proof vests and tried to hide their identities from enlistment.

Racing to the barricaded lines, muggy sweat pulsed on Katsuki's skin, when the tracker in his ear beeped with crackling comms.

'-Suki? Katsuki?" It was quiet, hushed, a voice not wanting to be answered.

It was his brother, dragged from purgatory into his next fight.

Pressing a finger to the device, he breathed raggedly into it, eyes scanning the dark air for any sign of his mirror image. "Yeah? Lanky Bastard, it's me. Where you at?"