Chapter Two

The gas station was always the busiest on weekends mainly because Soda and I were what you'd typically clarify as the most good-looking people you could find in greasers. Even some Soc girls have come in just to get a better look at us. For the past year that I've helped work here, I've become rather popular around boys, particularly greaser boys who always try and flirt with me when I'm trying to fill up their cars. Honestly, though, I've never minded the attention. I'm definitely not as used to it as Soda or Steve but I'm definitely getting used to it. I was wearing a matching uniform to the two, my reddish brown hair in a scrunchy near the top of my head.

I was wiping grease off my fingers when I saw that Ponyboy, Dally, and Johnny were heading this way. I didn't know what they'd been up to but knowing Dally, probably watching some sort of gang fight. I waved them over. Steve had an arm on one of my shoulders and Soda was finishing up filling a customer's car. Steve sighed when he saw who was coming. Once they made their way over, I gave Dally a fist bump and ruffled Johnny and Pony's hair.

"Come on Aileen! Now I have oil in my hair," Pony complained.

"Isn't that basically the same as hair grease?" I joked.

"Hey Sodapop," Dally said with a joking tone. "You don't happen to have a window wiper, do you?"

"Dally. How many times do I have to tell you that just because we work here, doesn't mean you get everything for free?" Steve asked rolling his eyes.

"Yeah! Come on Dal!" Soda shouted. "You have the money."

"No I don't," he lied. Soda and Dally started fighting over it each trying to grab it. Steve sighed once more.

"Just give him the money and get on with it Soda," he said. Soda looked down into his pocket but I ended up handing some to him first. "No Aileen. I can--"

"No! I'm not going to make you," I said. "Only this once Dal, okay?"

"Whatever," Dally said as I handed him the money.

"Pony. You and Johnny want a coke?" Soda asked.

"Hey! They get free stuff and I don't?" Dally complained.

"Well, we trust that they won't steal it!" Steve shouted.

"Nah. We're fine," Pony said. "We'll get one at the movies."

"Is your shift almost over kid?" Dally asked impatiently.

"Lucky for you, yes," I said.

"How do you of all people even stand working here?" Dal asked for the millionth time.

"You know I'm a tom-boy," I told him glaring at him. He gave me one back of course.

"How about you tell boss you're headin' out?" Steve asked. "We're almost done here anyway."

"Nah. I'll help you close," I told him.

"Please can you just leave? I can't stand those girls staring at Soda like he's some god," Pony told me.

"Seriously Aileen. We can close up here. You can go," Soda said patting my back. He turned to whisper in my ear after he said it. "He'll understand when he's older."

I chuckled letting boss know I was heading out. He just grinned and told me he'd give Soda my paycheck to give to me.

Once we left, we all started walking toward the movie theater. There was still a good hour left so we ended up messing around at stores and trying to get Dally out before he stole something but that obviously didn't work. By the time we got over to 'Dally's Grass,' I noticed three kids no older than seven or eight playing in it. He just went over and started scaring them. I almost wanted to interfere and let him know he was being too rough but I doubt he would see a problem with it. Eventually, he grabs their cards and spills them all over the grass finishing off with a death threat. Not wanting to be weak, I ended up following him screaming as well.