Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE.

chapter three

chapter three. the match.
tewkesbury | most eligible
@arsolaire . fanfiction '

꒰ ✧ ꒱

A DREADFUL PROMENADE WITH LORD TEWKESBURY.

"You've successfully made everyone think I'm jumping between two men," Natalia stated as she walked beside the young lord on the stone pathway of the Baudelaire garden, her hands kept on her stomach. "Not even three days have passed, and I've already caused a scandal. Perhaps I should've stayed in Spain."

"He wouldn't leave you alone if I hadn't said what I said, Miss Bennet."

"There were other ways."

"And pray tell. What are those other ways?" Tewkesbury questioned as he halted and turned to her, the sound of the birds singing under the sun, the trees rustling from the morning breeze long-forgotten as he waited for her answer.

"I could have punched him — kicked him," she looked away and whispered, "Tore him up limb by limb."

"Well, I wouldn't stop you, but your honour would."

"My honour," Natalia scoffed. She turned to the crystal water of the sparkling lake in front of them. The pink water lily floating by seemed to calm her down a bit, watching as it settled without a care in the world. "My honour, Lord Tewkesbury, it has always been stained and will be for the next generations of my bloodline to come no matter what I do. So what did I have to lose?"

He looked down at his hands, "Miss Bennet, I'm terribly sorry."

She shot him a warning look, "What on Earth for? Do you pity me? Because that is not what I want, and sympathy from you is the last thing I need. Pity is worse than feeling apathy for me."

"No, I — " He exhaled sharply and met her eyes, trying to ignore the fact that she looked like the provided ease of daybreak under the morning sunshine shamelessly touching her skin. Why must he describe you like such? Enola held his heart dear. "Because of me, your way into the season has been butchered. You've become — "

"Most Ineligible?" Natalia finished. "The most ineligible. I am aware."

"You are not ineligible nor the most."

"Nevertheless, it is not your fault. I am not even sure if I want to marry at all," Natalia strolled again with Tewkesbury following after her as she sat on the bench, watching the incredibly distant man as chaperone.

"You are young."

"So are you, yet I met you at a ball, did I not?"

"I do not seek marriage. I seek allies for politics." Tewkesbury clarified, earning a look from Natalia who leaned to see his face looking away. She tugged a smile and hummed in comprehension to the expression that he wore.