Adam Banks

"Seen Ella?" He asked, approaching her normal group of friends.

Most of them had shaken their heads and one of the girls looked around as well, wanting to help the boy, but failed to sight their friend. He placed his hand in the pocket of his dress pants, eyeing around for any other smaller or bigger group of friends or people that she could be with. 

He definitely remembered seeing her around over an hour ago when she showed up and then saw her leave, but didn't recall seeing her come back to the gym. A lot of people did come and go, most freshening up in the bathroom or finding somewhere else to hang out. Prom wasn't everyone's finest moments.

As Adam went to walk away from the table of girls, Ella's one friend stood up and nudged his shoulder to earn his attention. He looked down to the girl in a yellow dress. "I wouldn't worry too much, I think she's with Cam."

The boy nodded, finding it normal because Ella was always with that boy. It's what happened when two people liked each other and he mentally sighed, hating the guy she liked. "Thanks." He nods. "If she comes around, just mention if she asks I left early."

"Sure."

With a small smile, she watched him walk through the crowd of people dancing as he left on his own. Adam made his way for the open gymnasium doors and didn't bother looking back. Feet dragged one in front of the other as he kept his hand to his pocket, eyeing around for his best friend. 

He cared for her like a sister and didn't care who she bummed around with or dated, but he did like knowing she was in good hands. Sometimes it did irk him that she was constantly with Cam, because in Adam's eyes that guy wasn't exactly the 'good type'. He did look out for her and suggested she stay away, but when one found their poison, it was very hard to let it go.

Lifting the collar of his jacket, shivers were sent down his spine as he wandered outside, not finding a reason to stay any longer than he needed to. In his pocket, he grabbed his keys and headed down the sidewalk, taking a last look to the lights on in the hallway as two teachers stood outside having a smoke break. 

Waving a hand in front of him, he ridded the smoke that itched his lungs and coughed. Along the sidewalk, the grass was freshly trimmed that morning during classes as he stared down to find the key for his truck. The headlights flashed when he unlocked it, almost forgetting where he parked and hopped off the sidewalk. 

A steamy vehicle caught him off guard for a minute as he walked by, not caring for the people inside it as he saw a hand place upon the driver's window. The foggy window now held a sweaty imprint before it left, dragging down the dirty window and disappeared. Adam gagged at the car with no headlights, not even a window cracked open for air, and continued through a row of cars to find his own. 

It was ten minutes later when he was sitting in his truck listening to music quietly. The vehicle was running in a parked position as he didn't know why he was waiting or doing, kind of killing time until he figured it was a long enough to go home. If he went home early, his mother would surely know he ditched the prom before it even finished. 

Elbow to the edge of the door, hand held his forehead as his eyes were closed and his foot tapped on the rubber mat below. The music a jingle to his ear as he was in a good mood, simply jamming out to the tune by himself before moving his hand to the top of the steering wheel, creating a drum to engage with the song.

His passenger door opened abruptly. 

A heaving of breath spooked him as he lowered his head suddenly, glancing to his right to see the door wide open. A girl held the top of the door as she didn't ask to get in and pulled herself up, throwing herself into the leather. 

Her curled hair was no longer in it's perfect up do, falling from the clips as she yanked one out in a hurry, throwing it to the floor. In her right hand, her heels had been carried and thrown into his small backseat as she muttered below her breath, pulling the strap of her dress onto her shoulder again.

He eyed the familiar girl sitting in his passenger seat. "Um, yeah, hi to you too." He mentioned.

Deadpan, she turned her head and looked at him with an unpleasantness he caught on to. "Why aren't you in there?" She asked him coldly.

He brushed off her tone and lowered his head, turning down the music. "Could ask you the same thing."

She leaned forward in the chair, hands rubbing her face and the makeup failed to be smudged. Her frustrations got the best of her as she grew quiet, looking out the window and listened to the song that played.

Adam was shocked to see her since she had disappeared and now she sat a complete mess in his truck. Expecting to go home, he had a feeling he wasn't leaving that second. 

As her eye watered, Ella thought about what she was going to say before seeing someone outside. A car door slamming caught her attention as she rose in the seat, watching the person walk across the lot to the entrance of the school. Adam also looked, seeing what she saw and kept quiet, knowing who that person was.

With a small sniffle, she looked out the front window still. "I made a mistake."

"I see." He pursed his lip.

"That's all you're gonna ask?" She turned and stared at him, he shrugged, looking away from her. "No 'I told you so' or laugh in my face?"

He shook his head. "No, because I already 'told you so'." He air quoted and sat back in his seat.

"Aren't you even gonna ask what happened?"

He inhaled deeply, having an idea as he linked several pieces together but denied wanting to say it, so he kept quiet and let her rant about her mistake. Adam had a feeling what she was gonna say would match to his thoughts and part of him didn't want to hear about it, and another part of him really wanted to.

She was fidgeting with a piece of the satin on her dark green dress. "I thought I wanted it and I did want it." She began to explain, almost confident yet confused at the same time as he listened. "It was good at first until it just felt wrong." She admitted. 

She missed his eye roll.

Ella rubbed her nose. "It was intense, oh god, it was so intense. He was very good and I expected him to, because you know..." She rambled.

Adam kept a hand to bottom of the wheel, staring out his driver's window as he listened to her because as a friend, it's what they did. Ella continued to talk anyhow and now that he found her, he kind of wanted her to go back inside. 

"I don't know, he got all mad because I stopped it and the entire time I couldn't help but think it wasn't right. It wasn't him I wanted my first to be with."

"Sooo," He dragged out. "You were the people in that hot car?" He spoke up and she was taken back, looking over to him a she stared back for her answer. "Yeah, I think everyone could've guessed that, Elliana." He was sarcastic about it, not in the good way.

She furrowed her brows, unsure why he was cold about it. "He's done it before."

"Exactly my point." He looked away from her. "I told you over and over again he was no good, but hey, let's not listen to your best friend and do it anyway."

"Adam, stop." She tried telling him. 

"No," He turned in his seat, hand gripping the wheel now. "He reels all of you girls in like the sex machine he is and bam," He smacked the middle console between them, causing her to jump in her seat with a small fright. "Make out in the back seat of his car and it's over. He was gonna dump your ass the second you gave him what he wanted."

She could feel her eyes burning, not knowing how harsh Adam could be if he was agitated enough and she didn't even know why he was. It wasn't like him to act that way and it didn't scare her, it confused her. It made her wonder what sexual anger he had built up because he was single and didn't exactly try to get out since his last girlfriend left him.

Inhaling deeply, she rubbed below her eye and hid herself from him so he couldn't tell he'd made her cry. "Is that what you wanted to hear, Ella?" He asked her.