"I'm sorry, Brittany, but I've already pledged my fidelity to Kurt," said Rachel.

"Besides, we can't trust her," Bailey whispered. "I'm convinced she's planning on sabotaging Adalynn's chances at the lead in Beetlejuice."

"Bailey, that's not true at all," the diva said with a smile that seemed fake.

"I don't believe you."

"So, you're cool with flushing McKinley High's future down the magical poop-stealing water chair?" Brittany asked, referring to the student election.

"Did you know that in six years at this school, we've only exclusively had male student council presidents?" Santana added. "And, yeah, Kurt looks like Jimmy Fallon's butch daughter, but a vote for him would only empower yet another frank and beans."

"Yes," Bailey agreed. "Where has that patriarchy gotten us?"

"Double-digit inflation," said Brittany. "Economic free fall, oil spills, war in Afghanistan."

"I tweeted about Britt's flash mob pep rally in the gym," said Santana. "And we're all showing up to support her with girl power."

"Just the way it should be," Bailey said, snapping her fingers.

"Yes," Brittany agreed. "Boys have made one hell of a mess in this school, and there's only one way to clean it up."

****

Adalynn and Rachel sat in Ms. Pillsbury's office with her, Artie, and Coach Beiste, and they had just told them important news about the audition.

"Callbacks?" Adalynn scoffed. "Are you serious?"

"With such an iconic role as Lydia it can't appear as if they're just giving me the part," said Rachel.

"Don't make me punch you."

"I'd like to see you try."

"Ladies, love the passion, but no need to get violent," said Ms. Pillsbury.

"We'd like you both to come back on Thursday for the ultimate Lydia-off," said Artie.

"Done," Rachel agreed. "I can't speak for Adalynn, but I'll be singing the iconic Lydia song, Dead Mom."

"Actually, that's too easy, Rachel," said Ms. Pillsbury. "We've picked a song that we think has the potential to show off both of your talents in unexpected ways."

"'Out Here on My Own' from the seminal behind the scenes musical Fame," Artie said as he handed the girls the sheet music.

"I know it," Rachel smirked.

"I lived it," said Adalynn.

The bell rang, and the younger brunette got up and left Ms. Pillsbury's office as quick as possible. She ran a hand through her hair and bit her tongue to keep from yelling every curse word she knew.

"Adalynn," Rachel said as she caught up to the younger girl and stepped in front of her. "Look, in the spirit of Broadway camaraderie, I'd like to offer you a hug to congratulate you on your callback."

"Touch me and you die," Adalynn said, shoving the older girl away when she tried to hug her. "Let me make one thing clear. We are not friends. We never have been, and we never will be. Understand? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a callback to prepare for."