quatre

"YOUR KNEE IS— OW!" Mari rolls out of the way as Soap shifts his position in the back of the Humvee, shoving his knee into her back.

"Sorry," he replies, grinning apologetically. Gaz, and two other soldiers participating in the training, all clamber in behind, Ghost being the last one. He takes the last available seat, cramming himself in next to Mari.

"This is... comfortable," one of the soldiers remarks, and Soap gives him a confused look. "No it's not." Mari bites back a laugh and elbows him. "Sarcasm."

An hour later and she's learned the names of the two unknown faces, Clare and Adam. It's relieving to have another woman to talk to, at least for Mari. She's sure she'll miss it once the real mission starts, and she's cooped up with the three other men.

Ghost, however, doesn't seem to enjoy their newfound company as much as the young woman beside him does. In fact, Mari notices that he hardly talks at all.

While she's pretty sure they've gotten off on the wrong foot, part of her can't help but be curious. If she didn't have other reasons, the mask would be reason enough.

All she can see are his dark pupils, thick blonde eyelashes, and the smudged war paint in the hollows of his under-eyes.

The rest is concealed by the strikingly realistic skull, different than the bone-patterned balaclava that had made her jump in the dark forest only hours earlier.

"Vie. How'd you get that anyway?"

Mari looks up, turning to Soap. "Hm?" He repeats his question. "Your call sign, Sarge. How'd you get it?" She shrugs. "How'd you end up with Soap?"

"Classified."

"Likewise." She gives him a small smile, and he puts his hands up in surrender. It's not classified, in the slightest. But Mari would rather save the whole twenty-questions charade for later, and not when they were packed like sardines into the back of a military vehicle.

A man Mari doesn't know the name of is driving the thing, and the vehicle bumps as they pass over the rocky terrain. She peers out the back window, looking at the heavily forested areas that stare back at her.

This will be marvelous, she thinks. Sarcasm, as she'd previously corrected Soap. This, this would be a headache.

The back wheel of the Humvee dips down into a pothole, sending Mari knocking into Ghost. He looks down at her through the mask, eyes raking her face. She sighs, quickly removing herself from his side, scooting towards Soap as much as humanly possible to create distance.

The ground, however, has other plans, and the next jolt of the vehicle practically lands her in his lap.

Once again, Mari begins to attempt to extract herself from what has a ginormous possibility to become an extremely awkward situation. This time, however, he's beat her to it, grabbing a hold of her waist and lightly guiding her back into her seat.

"Lightweight, are you?" Ghost remarks, bracing himself against the ceiling. Mari suppresses the urge to roll her eyes, sighing. "Not really, Lieutenant. No."

"You sure? Seem to be ...easily jostled, Sergeant."

This time, she does roll her eyes, looking at Soap. "Switch with me, could you?" He nods, happily switching seats with her, delivering a playful slap to Ghost's arm.

From across Soap, Mari can feel those dark eyes boring holes into her head, but she ignores it. It's been hours in this trap and she's now looking forward to whatever mayhem Price's planned.

As the Humvee grinds to a halt, Mari is the first one to make for the door. The sun is just beginning to set, and as the other five follow suit, the driver steps out with a sheet of paper.