Chapter 29 | L's detective debut

"No fucking way, that's the same persacom that almost got me caught..."

The intruder looked down at the picture on the desk before him. Of L sitting in the centre of the peep room he'd been taken to when he got kidnapped.

"That's the one that got our red light district location busted. His owner and their goth friend came looking for him"

After his narrow getaway, the intruder retreated back to his home in a huff. Disappointed he didn't get to achieve his goal of snatching a persacom, but it seemed he'd found himself in a bigger situation than he thought. His accomplice has just made the connection that the persacom who stole his beanie was the same one that got their associate caught many months ago.

"Whatever model he is, that persacom is seriously impressive. Probably worth millions, they look almost completely human, they sound almost completely human. If I had to guess they were probably built custom to be as close to a human as possible" the associate said.

The intruder examined the picture closer, taking in the sheer detail of L. If he covered up the ear ports, he'd look no different than a regular human.

"We need to get that persacom. He'd sell for billions"

"Kira are you insane? That persacom got our whole peep room operation busted AND he stole your hat. The cops have DNA of you now" the associate said.

"Teru think about it, if we manage to get him we'd be filthy rich. Instead of selling him we could charge people a fortune to use him. And even if we did eventually get caught, he's more a human so we won't get charged with trafficking" Kira replied.

It would be a major risk, but for the two criminals it would be worth it. They wanted that persacom, L would make them billionaires in dirty money. Little did they know that L was already onto them.

You and L had been told after the break in that if you wanted any updates you could come down to the police station and ask. L was eager to see where the case was, and who the intruder was. His desire to be a detective only increased when he was handed his first case practically on a silver platter.

"The taskforce is on duty at the moment, but the rookie is in. He's just joined the force, and this is one of his first few cases" the receptionist explained.

"Oh that's fine, we just wanna know what's happened really" you replied.

"This way then"

You followed her down the hall and up to an office, the name plate reading Mr Touta Matsuda. The receptionist poked her head in to ask if he was busy before allowing you in to speak to the officer.

"Hi, I'm (y/n) and this is L. We live in the apartment complex that was broken into so we just want a few updates if that's ok?" You asked.

The officer looked up from his computer, he seemed younger than most of the others in the force and had a peppy attitude.

"I'd be glad to hel- wooooahhh, that's one hell of a persacom..." he replied, spotting L and immediate becoming intrigued.

"He's one hell of a persacom alright. Custom and self learning AI"

L had learnt to bow and introduce himself when meeting new people way back when you first got him. And every time he'd done the exact same thing without fail. Bow his head and repeat the same greeting.

"Nice to meet you. My name is L and I'm (y/n) persacom helper" L smiled.

"He sounds so real too! Take a seat guys. I'm officer Touta Matsuda... although you probably already saw that on the door..." he replied.

You and L took the chairs opposite his desk and L being L, bought his knees up to his chest as usual. Matsuda gave him a confused look, and you just giggled.

"Self learning means he's got a few quirks" you explained.

"Ah, I see. So you two live in that apartment?" He replied.

"Yep. L was the one who got the footage and the hat, he didn't even wake me up until the guy got chased out he was so sneaky about it"

"Oh it was you! I did read in the files it was a persacom who got the footage. Well you'll be glad to know we did get some clues from it..."

He clicked some files on his computer and turned the screen to you and L.

"The footage was clear enough we could get some good screen caps. Since it was dark it's a bit hard to see but from what we got we were able to make a composite sketch" Matsuda explained.

On the screen were some of the best frames from the footage and a composite sketch beside it. It was pretty spot on too. Male with brown hair, brown eyes, slightly tanned with sharp eyes. Underneath were some details they'd managed to estimate. Hight being approximately 5.10" and average weight and built for said height. Approximate age being somewhere between 18-25.

"The composite sketch looks accurate. He did look very close to that" L confirmed.

"That's good, we're onto something then. The DNA from the hat is still being processed but with that we'll be able to conclude-" Matsuda began.

"-hair colour, any genetic mutations, ethnicity and approximate age" L finished.

Matsuda blinked in shock for a moment, not expecting that knowledge from a persacoms.

"Y-yes. Wow you sure do know a lot" Matsuda replied.

"L is going to be a detective!" L smiled.

Even though there were no persacom detectives at the moment, if L could fire off al that information so quickly he definitely could be onto something. A few police stations had persacom helpers for simple office tasks, but no actual detectives. L could be the first of his kind.

"Well if you keep that up you definitely could be" Matsuda replied.

"His AI allows him to have likes and dislikes, goals and all of that stuff. He's pretty dead set about it, he's complied as much data as he can hold about crime statistics and uses it to draw conclusions based on evidence" you explained.

"With the current evidence I think this isn't a regular robbery. Otherwise he would have gone for the nearest valuables and left. Instead he seemed to be looking for something in particular" L added.

Again Matsuda was stunned. All this stuff he'd spent years in training to learn this persacom was firing off as quick as ever.

"That's... right. Exactly the same conclusion we came too. Wow you definitely could be a detective! We might have to call you back in for more help" Matsuda said.

L smiled, proud of himself for getting everything right.

"See (y/n)? L's doing good!" L said.

"You definitely are, look at you go" you replied.

Matsuda had never considered a persacom detective before, but seeing L he started to realise how useful it could be. Persacoms can run through data in the blink of an eye, they have built in cameras to capture footage and record evidence, they can send data from one place to another in a matter of seconds. And if persacoms as elaborate and advanced as L existed then the public might have some faith in a persacom detective as well, seeing them as more human like and reliable.

Maybe L was onto something here... maybe Matsuda should keep him in mind.