The Purple Piano Project

Start from the beginning

"Sound's good," Brittany nodded as she took the laminated schedule from her sister.

"Wait, I'm confused," Santana said, furrowing her brows at the paper. "Nowhere on here does it say when I get to go Lima Heights on Jacob or Berry or anyone else who would be a toxic influence on the minis."

"Key word, 'toxic influence,'" said Tina. "You have to set a good example for them."

"It's fine," the Latina shrugged as she pulled out a pen. "I'll write it in myself."

****

Adalynn, Brittany, and Tina stood in a small circle as they stared confusedly down at their trophies. Maya looked up at Adalynn with innocent, confused eyes.

"I don't know, M," the brunette shrugged.

"Mr. Schue, why are all of our trophies in the middle of the room?" Tina asked as their teacher came into the room.

"I was sure that our nationals trophy would grow during the summer," Brittany said to Ava, who reached a hand out to grab at her ponytail.

"I want this image burned into your mind," Mr. Schue said as he picked up their nationals trophy. "This is what the difference between first and twelfth place looks like. It's also what it feels like."

"Are you planning on bumming us out all year long?" Puck asked as everyone sat down. "Hi, baby," he said to Maya, gently taking her small hand.

"Touch her again and you die," Adalynn said as she pushed the mohawk boy away.

Puck raised his hands in mock surrender as Adalynn handed Maya off to Bailey.

"I'm planning on pushing you harder than you've ever been pushed," said Mr. Schue. "We made it to nationals last year. This year I'm not gonna let anything or anyone stop us from winning at all. I let you down last year. I lost focus, let some Broadway pipe dream get in the way."

"And we're really sorry that the guy who replaced you in April Rhodes' musical won the Tony," said Rachel. "I mean, I can only imagine your regret."

"Yeah, you know what I regret?" Mercedes asked. "Being the laughingstock of the show choir world."

"And that's saying something," Artie agreed.

"Mercedes has a point," said Kurt. "Finn and Rachel's 'the kiss that missed' already has twenty thousand views on Youtube, and the comments section is just full of pithy banter like 'why is that T-Rex eating the Jew?'"

"That one's my favorite," Adalynn snickeredl.

"How many times do we have to apologize for that?" Finn asked.

"Yeah, no more apologizing," said Rachel.

"The school hates us even more now," Mike groaned.

"Which is why we have to work even harder this year to recruit new members," said Mr. Schue. "We're four men down since Julian graduated and Sam moved."

"Yeah, only because Puckerman couldn't convince Zizes to stay," said Santana.

"She's the one that got away," Puck sighed. "Really, really slowly."

"Where's Quinn?" Tina asked.

"She told me not to say," Adalynn mumbled.

"Why?" Artie asked. "It's sad. I miss her."

"No one's gonna join, Mr. Schue," Bailey said as she gently played with Maya's blonde hair.

"They will," the teacher said. "All they need is a little inspiration... and I happen to have some, courtesy of Al Motta's of Motta's Pianos. Bring them in, guys. You guys are gonna love this."