"You saw your mother, be good." Malkym replied, before kissing Alaelanna's hair and ruffling the boys hair. They watched as he brushed past them, appearing at his wife's side to kiss her hair gently and help her to her feet as the doors opened once more.

The king was brought in, his chair being carried as he had now grown too feeble to walk. Jace helped Alaelanna from her seat, as Luke and Camryn hurried to sit at their own. It took a moment or two for him to be brought round, where the family was motioned to sit once more. The four Thorne children watched on, all dressed in blues and silver of the Thorne house for tonight's dinner, refusing to be associated with their Targaryen side of the family.

"How good it is to see you all tonight together..." Their grandfather took a deep, shuddering breath as he looked between the two families.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent questioned, as Alaelanna turned to her mother, a look of displeasure marring her features. She cocked an eyebrow, in question that she should even have to do this.

"Yes." Rhaenyra shook her head, as all four Thorne children merely watched on as Alicent began to speak. Their mother was the only one of the family who bowed her head, the remainder merely watching.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering of love and may the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long." Camryn yawned, earning a swift kick from Luke in response. 

"This is an occasion, for celebration it seems." Viserys muttered, turning to look at Alaelanna, who fought to keep a scowl forming in displeasure. "My grandaughter, Alaelanna..."

He shot her a warm look, and Alaelanna smiled at the man.

"...will marry her uncle, Aemond, further strengthening the bond between our houses." She knew that her grandfather was not as with it as he once was, so she would allow him to believe that she would marry her uncle if that was to make him happy. Of course she would be doing no such thing. "A toast, to the young princess and her betrothed."

Aemond seemed to scowl at the reduction of his title to Alaelanna's betrothed, and the girl took some pleasure in that.

"It seems they've finally been able to marry you off, Alaelanna." Aegon's hushed voice reached her ears, as Jace put his glass down and sighed. It was not truly a family dinner until the arguments started again.

"Let us toast also toast Princess Alaelanna's title, future Lady of Alterwoode." Viserys shot his granddaughter another warm look.

Rhaenyra had once explained that Alaelanna looked the most like Aemma, her own mother, so for Viserys, it had been like seeing a ghost. Her mother had told her that, when Alaelanna had been young and they had first moved from King's Landing, Viserys had asked for Rhaenyra to fly back with Alaelanna as often as she could, to allow him to dote upon his only granddaughter at the time. It had been one of Alaelanna's favourite memories when she was young.

But, when Viserys had become more addled with milk of the poppy, and when the Hightowers had begun to exert more authority over King's Landing, their visits became less frequent. Soon, Rhaenyra stopped taking her daughter altogether unless their entire family was going, feeling far better protected that way.

"Hear, hear." Her brothers and father all cheered, and the girl was met with pats on the back from both Jace and Luke. Rhaenyra chuckled at that.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume?" Aegon's voice reached her ears once more as he leant over Jace to try and speak with her. "At least in principle."

"You see the lack of manners they teach in King's Landing, sister." Jace turned to his sister with a grin. "Apparently, they do not even teach them how to properly talk to a lady."