iv. betrothals

CHAPTER FOUR ─── betrothals

          "𝕴 would rather die that marry him!" 

"Alaelanna." Rhaenyra turned, having been hearing the spiel of furious ranting from her daughter for the past half hour. "I can not think with you wittering in my ear about this. I know you do not want to marry him, and I will deal with it. Seethe quietly, please."

Alaelanna huffed, scrunching her nose and glaring as she finally sat still. Her mind was racing however, filled with horrible thoughts of being forced to marry her uncle, who she had not had a proper conversation with since she was ten. Even that had not been a proper conversation, more a forced hello and goodbye. 

Her father was the only other person in the solar, her brothers having been sent off to train to get some of their aggression out. None of them had been happy about the suggestion, practically foaming at the mouth to kill either the hand or their uncle. For once, Malkym was the quietest of the family, merely sitting by his daughter as he thought over what to do.

"The only way I can think to get out of this is to say we have already found and been planning a betrothal." Her mother turned, as Alaelanna's eyes narrowed. So to get out of one betrothal, she had to marry another? It was not fair.

"Well, we have not been doing that for the reason that we wanted to wait until Alaelanna was ten and eight."

"You know better than anyone that they consider the marriage age to be ten and seven." Rhaenyra replied, as Malkym hummed.

"But that was the reason we wanted to wait. I was pressured into marriage at ten and seven, as you were. We did not wish for that."

"I do not wish for marriage." Alaelanna spoke up. "Is it simply not an option for me not to marry?"

"Darling." Rhaenyra shot her a look. "Unfortunately, you were born a princess and the heir to a great house. You have to marry, to secure your bloodline and because that is what is expected of you."

"Yes, but not to my uncle!" Alaelanna hissed. "I would have to remain here, in this snake pit until I became lady of Alterwoode, because this is where he is situated. I would be stuck with this family! I do not wish for that."

"Well, then who do you wish to be married to?" Rhaenyra replied. "I cannot disagree with this unless I have a better alternative in place, because the Lord Hand brought this up in front of the court and the king. Your grandfather's memory is addled by milk of the poppy, he will say yes to whatever they ask to secure our families peace. Unless I can prove a better alternative, I do not know what I can do."