1994 - Part 5

Victare had many memories of his youth, but the concept of youth was different for a vampire. He was a young person in his clan for almost two hundred years before he decided to let his appearance advance to what he was now. He knew the family that acted as his guardians were a vicious bunch. They killed without care or concern for the victim. He was not like this, however. He could not take a life. This was, however, the old Victare. Now, he was consumed with hatred. He was willing to kill those who were responsible, and with his new powers, he was able. He felt like he was as powerful as Patreous, and he would kill the person that was responsible for harming Janare.

Night came, and to Victare, it smelled fresh. He was reborn with power. What he had not figured out yet was Janare's ferocity. How was she so powerful?

"I can sense your rage," she said.

He paused. How was she this powerful while she was this new? He could feel the energy in the room. "And I yours," he replied seriously.

She effortlessly morphed her body into the form of a white wolf.

"Show off," Patreous shouted from the kitchen.

How does he know? she wondered.

"He is more powerful than he lets on," Victare replied out loud.

A loud popping noise bounced around the room as Janare focused her thoughts. This was a sound that only vampires could hear. Janare's body disappeared and instantly reappeared on the far side of the room, back in her human form.

Patreous rushed into the room. "You can fucking teleport?" he said, clearly frustrated.

"I guess. That just came... naturally."

The same popping noise filled the room and Janare was gone.

The boys didn't know where she was, but she had moved her body upstairs to the scene where she was attacked. She looked around the room. It was a mess of jewelry strewn across the room and some loose beads lining the cracks in the floor. She opened one of the jewelry cases and found a large dagger in its sheath. Something about the cold blade drew her here, it gave her power when she held it.

She picked up the dagger and felt the vibrations that pulsed from its hilt. She could feel the vibrations pulsing through her arm and down to her torso. There was something special in the connection she had with this.

Without thinking too much about it, she shoved the sheathed dagger into the waistband of her jeans so that it wasn't too obvious. While it was pressed against her stomach, she could feel the pulsing through her body. Patreous had not yelled at her, so she thought that he didn't know.

She started downstairs. Victare had made his way to the foot of the stairs to meet her. He didn't know how he knew she was coming down.

You found the dagger? He spoke to her telepathically. He realized that he didn't understand the significance of the dagger but that he had known for years that it was in Patreous' jewelry box.

Yes. I don't know what to do with it.

You will know when the time is right, Victare reassured her.

***

The trio found themselves later that night traveling quickly through the warm, rainy darkness. Patreous and Victare were in the form of wolves, but Janare kept her human form. She was blinking through space, reappearing hundreds of feet ahead of the boys, then feigning impatience at how 'slowly' they were moving. They wondered how she became so powerful and how it all came so naturally to her. They were headed to the largest of the old Dareeniou compounds. These new intruders, including the twins, would be there, they thought. The rain bothered no one as they traveled for almost an hour.

They were huddled behind a tree line overlooking a large home. It had a decorative wall surrounding the property with several gates that had ornate arches over them. This was an old but well cared for home. There were signs of light and movement in the windows and the pool flickered. Young, sexy bodies were in and around the swimming area, Expensive cars lined the drive and the pumping of loud music filled the air. A party was in full swing. Janare took control, it was very natural for her. The boys fell in line as they recognized she had a plan and would not act impulsively.

We wait, she said without speaking out loud. They were a pack, and they ran with pack mentality. Somehow, Janare was the natural leader. Patreous was obliged to follow. This was a strange turn of events, but the hierarchy of the clan was very strict. The most powerful vampire was the leader, and Victare was amused at Patreous falling in line with such a new turn.

They waited for hours, watching until the crowd around the pool grew thin and daylight was near. We have to move soon, Patreous said to the group. Janare nodded.

Janare jumped ahead of them towards the swimming pool. Victare and Patreous barely saw her before they recognized the dagger raised high in the air. This was a family heirloom that Patreous had owned for hundreds of years. Lesser vampires who touched it were weak for days. It was a master who only gave itself to someone of great power. It allowed Janare to wield it, she was not its master. Patreous knew this meant she was of great power.

The blade flickered in the moonlight as Janare darted around the pool. It took only seconds before the bodies of the partiers were dead, scattered around the concrete landing surrounding the pool.

Follow me, she said telepathically, they will smell the blood soon. She had just killed a group of mortals. This was not something Victare could understand. The two men easily scaled the wall they were watching over and joined Janare as she made her way into the home. They did not have to communicate it, but only one vampire was inside.

The trio walked through a hallway and quickly found one of the twins standing in the kitchen drinking wine from a silver chalice. Patreous recognized her. It was the girl from the island. He sensed that Janare was ready to fight, but he stopped her. There was a power dynamic in play. Although she was clearly more powerful, and this bothered Patreous, he was still the clan leader. She understood this and stood down.

"I thought my sister warned you about staying," the girl said. They looked exactly alike but she must be the girl from the island, Patreous thought. She had bathed him. This was a vampire ritual and it bonded them in a special way. He could not harm her, nor she him. Fuck, he thought, why did he give in to the temptation.

"She did, but the dead bodies around the pool should be a clue that we are not concerned with her threats," Patreous replied.

"Fool," she laughed. "Those were college kids that were here because we have money and a pool."

"Why are you alone?" Patreous asked. They all knew that vampires could recognize each other's presence and they all knew that no one else from her clan was around.

She did not answer, but she was also very calm and confident. This worried Patreous. Why was she like this? She was surrounded by three stronger opponents.

"You won't hurt me. You respect the old ways too much," she was talking about the ritual on the island.

"You're right," Patreous replied. He walked over to her and place his large hand gently around the side of her face. "You played it smart, but we are bonded. The man behind me is my lover of over three hundred years. Even if he were to attack you right now, I would defend you with my life. What is your name?"

"Mirtle."

"An ancient name," Patreous said. "How deep is your line?"

"Thousands of years," she said proudly.

"Mirtle," he spoke directly at her, still holding her face but his grip strengthened, almost choking her. "Your sister will not be so lucky." He released her.

"Good," she replied.