When Derek came back with a half-empty bottle of water, they played a couple more rounds before Melissa declared that it was time to leave. She hustled us out, claiming that she was starving.

"I'm starving," she said.

We got to the buffet restaurant five minutes after our reservation time. The interior was bright and spacious, and it was packed with customers. Despite that, the atmosphere was relaxed as everyone spoke quietly and strolled in a leisurely manner to get their food.

"This is our second time here," Derek told us. "I really like their stuff."

"Really?" I said, trying to sound excited. "That's good."

Ashley stared at me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, of course." Confused, I returned her stare. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Melissa squinted at me. "That's the blandest reaction you've ever given to the prospect of good food. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Of course," I said, waving my hand at them. "Please, I'm totally fine. Don't worry! I'm just not that hungry."

I didn't look at Nolan.

Ashley opened her mouth, but before any words could escape, she closed it again.

We headed for our table and put down our stuffed toys on the chairs.

"Let's go get food together," Melissa suggested, putting her arm around my shoulders.

Derek turned the other way and nodded at Nolan. "Dude, you have to try their fried chicken. It's pretty good."

Ashley stood on my other side, and we headed off in the direction Melissa pointed to.

The moment we were out of earshot of the guys, Melissa whispered, "Chels, you and Nolan have been really quiet tonight. Are you sure you're okay?"

"And I'm not trying to be intrusive," Ashley said, casting me a glance, "but you guys are usually a bit clingy. You two have been standing at a distance from each other tonight, and your expression looks really stiff. Did something happen?"

Why had I ever thought that maybe my friends wouldn't notice?

"No," I said, and it was technically the truth. "I'm fine, really."

We hadn't had a fight. Nolan hadn't even acknowledged what I had done last week. Our conversations were normal. The only thing that had changed was how I didn't want to—didn't dare to—hold his hand in public anymore, and I hadn't even vocalized that, so there wasn't anything to talk about. In fact, Nolan himself behaved normally just without the hand holding, as though everything was fine.

I wanted to believe that everything was fine.

I didn't dare to talk to Nolan about this again. I didn't want him to suggest breaking up as a solution again.

But as each day passed, I realized how this was only the beginning of our troubles as a couple, and there was no end in sight.

There wasn't anything I could tell Melissa and Ashley without sounding crazy. 'I'm starting to realize that we might not be compatible' came the closest to being accurate without giving the details of Nolan's condition, but it would definitely be interpreted in the wrong way.

Compatible or not, I still wanted to see that affectionate smile Nolan reserved for me. I still wanted to be able to cuddle up to him on cold days, to borrow his hoodies as long as I wanted to, to know that I could hug him without needing a reason.

I still wanted to be special to him.

I still wanted all that, but the thought of one day being mistaken for his aunt—or worse, grandma—while walking along the streets with him turned my heart cold with fear.

My friends still looked concerned, but I forced the brightest smile I could muster onto my face and dragged them towards the soup section.

In an attempt to distract them, I drew Melissa into a conversation about her failed driving exams. Within minutes, I had successfully taken their minds off the perceived problem between Nolan and me.

We returned to the table to see that the guys were already eating. Nolan picked at his food, the portion of which was significantly smaller than the other two guys'.

We chatted as we ate, enjoying the peaceful feel of the place.

Nolan had to, of course, leave most of his food on his plate after nibbling a bit for show. Thankfully, he didn't take much to begin with, so it wasn't difficult for me to polish off whatever was left for him.

After a few rounds of this, Ashley leaned towards me and teased, "You can get your own food, you know. It is all-you-can-eat."

"I'm just helping him," I said, scooping up the couple of tater tots on his plate, "since he can't finish everything."

"Wow, you really didn't find a single thing you liked," Derek said, blinking at Nolan's plate.

It suddenly occurred to me that they might think that Nolan was a really picky eater.

"Sorry," Nolan said. "I ate before coming. I guess I'm fuller than I thought I was."

"I skipped both breakfast and lunch for this," Melissa said amid bites of her steak.

"Thanks, Chelsea," Nolan said from opposite me.

Right at that instant, I felt something touch my foot. Startled, I tilted my head slightly to glance under the table to check what it was. Nolan's shoe grazed mine again. When I snapped my head up, Nolan was still staring at me.

I smiled at him, feeling my pulse race a little. "No problem."

Upon nudging his foot back, I received another light bump from him.

We were fine, weren't we?

---------------------------------------------

AN: sorry guys, I've just been too exhausted from work and real life commitments. have a great weekend! <3