Chapter 2- Origin of Service Pt. 1

*2 weeks earlier*

You had just been invited to Ella's home for a party her stepmother was throwing in an attempt to "liven up the place."  You hadn't been to your best friends house since her father had remarried a week prior.  You couldn't wait to see Ella and you were desperate to make a good first impression to the new members of her family, so of course you graciously accepted the invitation.

You grab a sleek, dark green party gown from your closet as well as a pair of silver heels. You slip into the dress and shoes and then begin your makeup routine.  Finally, you add some finishing touches: silver earrings and a pearl necklace your mother left you before her death. 

You admire yourself in the mirror a moment before heading out

You admire yourself in the mirror a moment before heading out.  As soon as your carriage arrives, Ella runs out to greet you.

"Y/n! You came!"  she squealed, embracing you tightly.

"Of course I did! I haven't seen you in a week, and I haven't met your stepmother yet. Plus, you know I love parties." 

You follow her inside and you're met with a multitude of voices.

"There's so many people here!" you shout above the noise.

"My stepmother invited many people. She wanted to make it more lively, she said."

Then you heard it. A piercingly beautiful yet strange laugh. You were entranced, and decided to follow it.  You ended up in a room where many people were playing cards. You hear the laugh again and look to your left to see a beautiful red headed woman in a stunning evening gown.  Ella noticed your stare.

"I see you've found my stepmother."

"That's your stepmother?" you asked in complete awe.

"Sure is. Want me to introduce you?"

Your mouth had become drier than a desert, so you just nod. Ella takes your hand and pulls you through the crowd of people until you're finally right next to her stepmother. Lady Tremaine looks up at Ella.

"I'm rather busy, Ella. What do you need?"

"Just introducing my friend. This is-"

Tremaine cuts her off.  "She's grown. She can introduce herself. Now, what is your name?" she asks, shifting her gaze to you.

"Y/n, ma'am..."

"Lady Tremaine. A pleasure to meet you."  She looks back to the cards in her hand.  "Now Ella, if you'll let me continue entertaining the guests."

"Of course, stepmother." Ella sighs as she starts walking away.  You begin to follow her, but Tremaine calls out to you.

"Oh and Y/n, dear? You look like you may come in handy."  She gives a little smirk as she looks down at her hand once again. You walk out of the room, confused.

What could that have possibly meant...?