"Excuse me," Mercedes said as she got up and left the choir room.

"Is she okay?" Mr. Schue asked.

"Mercedes doesn't have a date for prom," Quinn informed.

"So?" Brittany asked. "I don't have a date. I'm just going to dance. And then all of your dates are gonna ignore you and come dance with me, so... your dates are really my dates."

****

Adalynn sat on the couch between Julian and Finn as they discussed prom with Blaine, who Kurt had invited to go with them.

"So you think it's cool if I jam with you guys at prom?" the Warbler asked.

"Yeah, totally," said Finn.

"Good news, boys," Burt said as he came into the room. "My buddy Enzo from the tux rental shop is giving you half off."

"Sweet," Julian smiled.

"Yeah. So what are you gonna go with?"

"I'm going simple," said Blaine. "Black, thin lapel collar, very discreet."

"You know what I wore at my prom?" Burt asked with a grin. "I wore a powder blue tux with a ruffled shirt and a big velour bowtie. I looked like Tony Orlando."

"Was that a designer?" Julian asked.

"No, idiot," Adalynn scoffed, elbowing her cousin.

"No need for half off my outfit!" Kurt exclaimed as he came into the living room wearing a tux top and a skirt.

"Because half of it is already off?" Julian snorted as Adalynn roughly elbowed him. "Ow!"

"Shut up, idiot," the younger girl said before turning to her brother. "Kurt, you look awesome."

"Thank you," Kurt beamed. "My ensemble is an homage to the recent royal wedding and the late Alexander McQueen. I had to make it myself. There's simply nothing off the rack that is suitable for the young fashionable man in Ohio."

"Dude, that rocks," said Finn. "It's like gay Braveheart."

"I don't like it," Burt shrugged.

"Well, of course you don't like it," said Kurt. "It's not finished yet. I think it still needs, like, a sash, or maybe some beads."

"No beads," Adalynn shook her head. "Anything but beads."

"I'm not gonna stop you from wearing it," said Burt. "But I gotta be honest, I think you're just trying to stir the pot a little bit. I think you're trying to get some attention."

"Exactly!" Kurt exclaimed. "What's the point of dressing up? I mean, that's why some guys wear the tails or the top hat and the girls wear the hoop skirts. I mean, Blaine, help me out here."

"I think your dad has a point," said Blaine. "I think what he's trying to say is that we just don't want to give anyone a reason to cause any trouble."

"There's a lot of bad people out there, Kurt, and they're a lot worse than this Karofsky kid," said Burt. "And all they're looking for is a match to light under the fire of their hate. Of course, I want you to be yourself. But I also want you to be practical."

"I have done everything right," said Kurt. "Now Blaine, I understand that after what you've been through, you're worried. But prom is about joy, not about fear. So I'm wearing this suit. I worked hard on it and I think it's fantastic. And if you don't want to join me, I completely understand."

"Preach," Adalynn said, snapping her fingers.

****

Bailey walked into prom with her arm looped in Julian's. She didn't want to go, especially since the due date was just weeks away, but her sister wasn't taking no for an answer. After lots of begging, she finally gave in and said yes when Julian asked her to be his date.